International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a humanitarian organization that provides protection and assistance to people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. Our institution employs more than 20,000 staff and is present in 80 countries. The ICRC Regional Delegation in Pretoria is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following vacancy:
The purpose of Communications Officer contributes to developing and implementing the delegation’s strategy on communication, aimed at enhancing acceptance of the ICRC in South Africa, Botswana, eSwatini, Lesotho and Zimbabwe, as well as enabling and supporting the attainment of the Regional Delegation’s operational priorities.
Description of the role.
The incumbent performs the following activities within the department
- Follows political, security, military and humanitarian developments, as well as other issues relevant to the ICRC’s reputation/perception and capacity to operate in the geographic area covered, contributing to their analysis.
- Collects and shares information to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses. Prepares concept notes, campaign proposals and strategies for different media activities (including digital) in consultation with the Communication Manager.
- Creates, edits, repurposes and publishes a wide variety of engaging content for digital channels, using audio-visual products (videos, photos, etc.). Provides the archives with appropriate versions of these digital materials for reuse.
- S/he ensures the identification and proactive engagement of synergies and opportunities for inter-departmental or inter-delegation cooperation especially on communication content.
- S/he, together with the Logistics department, identifies a network of external suppliers (producers, directors, editors, graphic artists, writers, photographers, etc.) in the countries under the purview of the Delegation. S/he ensures that suppliers know and apply ICRC AV and photo guidelines appropriately and s/he is in charge of quality control.
- Develops and maintains a network of external contacts with broadcasters, agencies and other platforms.
- Identifies influencers in order to support public and operational communication.
- Keeps abreast of technological developments and latest trends, contributes to analysing content trends, new media and technical innovations, and informs supervisors and colleagues concerned.
- Manages local/regional social media accounts using accepted best practices, develops digital projects, engaging with and delivering content to priority audiences.
- Ensures that information management procedures are defined and respected. Provides guidance to colleagues on setting up and managing their own channels and accepted best practice.
Profile – Minimum required qualification & experience:
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant field as journalism, communications, audio-visual production, digital marketing, ,.
- At least 3years experience in video-editing and implementing advocacy and community engagement campaigns.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of South African politics and socio-economic trends, with experience of working in other southern African countries is an advantage.
- Strong analytical and writing skills including proven experience in preparing background briefs, reports and carrying out in-depth research.
- Experience in training and capacity building on communications and advocacy a distinct advantage.
- Fluent spoken and written English required. Other language skills relevant to engaging stakeholders in the countries of responsibility an asset.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software)
- Familiarity with online and social media communication tools.
We are looking for someone who is methodical, precise, responsible, rigorous, organized, with good organizational skills, with a good sense of teamwork, initiative and respect for ICRC values.
Please submit your application: CV, cover letter, copies of qualification(s) by electronic mail with the subject: “Application to the position of Communications Officer to: [email protected].
Only applications with all required documentation will be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The last date for receiving application is 06 February 2022. Start Date 01 April 2022.