Population Services International (PSI)
NOTE: This advert forms part of a proposal recruitment process. We would like to identify qualified candidates before a proposal is submitted. Potential offer of employment is contingent upon CDC award and approval.
Title: Deputy Technical Director
Based in: South Africa
Report to: Technical Director
Starting Date: 01 October 2022
Travel: 10% - 25% Travel
PSI seeks a Deputy Technical Director who will support the Technical Director to lead all aspects of design, planning, implementation, QA, M&E, demand creation, and community mobilization of the VMMC project.
Sound like you? Read on.
Support the Technical Director in implementation the VMMC project, specifically:
- Support the Technical Director in coordinating critical technical activities and field support.
- Provide technical oversight of field activities providing rapid response as required.
- Contribute to aspects of design, planning, implementation, QA, M&E, demand creation, and community mobilization of VMMC, in collaboration with the Technical Director.
- Contribute to by providing key input on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches for scale up of safe VMMC services.
- Together with the Technical Director work with marketing and communication team to generate demand for VMMC service uptake.
- Support the Technical Director to collaborate and partner with relevant government departments and implementing partners to transfer skills and build capacity to improve the policy environment, demand creation, VMMC numbers and performance, CQI, and monitoring of adverse effects (AE).
- Support the Technical Director to lead VMMC-related AE and AE reporting and management processes and to ensure timely reporting.
- In support of the Technical Director and QA Director:
- Work with the NDOH and technical working groups to develop and adapt QA and improvement plans for VMMC services, including external and internal QA audits and CQI and monitoring plans.
- Support the establishment or enhancement of internal QA audits; train staff within the project and the national VMMC program to perform audits; apply findings to quality improvement efforts; periodically review QA processes/requirements.
- Lead the coordination for CMI related activities and oversee quality assurance and M&E of CMI in selected districts.
- Document VMMC best practices/lessons learned during project implementation and disseminate widely among key stakeholders to guide improved service delivery.
- Together with the Technical Director co-design with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Reporting (MELR) Advisor to foster a regular data for decision-making framework to drive performance using granular level data analysis by geography and age. Ensure analysis of data guides programmatic decision making, planning, and scale-up.
- Support the Technical Director to lead adaptation and supportive supervision of VMMC programs, and work towards continuous quality improvement (CQI).
- Support the Technical Director to work with NDOH and key stakeholders to co-design and rollout VMMC sustainability strategies with key milestones.
- Provide regular briefing to the donor and other stakeholders.
What are we looking for?
- Medical Doctor or Nursing Degree with relevant experience.
- Relevant master’s degree (MPH, Epidemiology, Health Management) highly desired.
- At least 8 years of work experience in service delivery and operations research.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing HIV programs, with at least 5 years of experience in resource-challenged settings in a technical leadership role.
- Prior proven experience implementing VMMC programming in East and Southern Africa region is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in clinical QA and QI in developing countries is preferred.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Proficiency in a relevant language other than English preferred.
- Cultural Humility and respect.
- Only candidates with current authorisation to work in South Africa will be considered.
- PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
Where to apply?
The closing date is 31 January 2022 email to: [email protected]. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and be invited for interviews.
PSI SA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, disabled or employment status. PSI SA reserves the right to conduct background checks on shortlisted candidates. We reserve the right to withdraw any of the vacancies at any time.