After 16 years with the organisation, our director will be stepping down from the leadership role at Wordworks. We are looking for an inspirational leader with high integrity to take the organisation into its next phase.
Wordworks is a Cape Town based non-profit organisation that works towards a world where young children are supported to develop early language and literacy so that their lives are enriched and they grow to their full potential. We inspire, share knowledge and collaborate with those who care for, work with and advocate for young children so that they recognise the importance of early language and literacy and support its development in homes, schools and community settings. We are known for our high quality, open access, multilingual resources and for our development of and training on innovative and effective programmes which are used across a wide range of contexts.
We have a team of 25 full and part time staff. We run programmes in the Western Cape and have a presence in the Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KZN and the Northern Cape through NGO partners who use our programmes in their work. We also work closely with provincial government departments in the Western Cape and Gauteng. We aspire to an agile and reflective style of work, requiring high levels of independence and productivity within an inclusive, collaborative and accountable environment.
The Director is responsible for:
Strategic leadership Lead the development and implementation of strategy in line with the Wordworks mission and ensure required resources are in place.
People Build a diverse, competent and empowered team who demonstrate a commitment to the Wordworks mission, vision and values of respect, relationship and sharing.
Fundraising and donors Identify and develop new funding agreements, lead the development of fundable programme concepts in line with organisational vision and mission, and buildstrong and respectful donor relationships.
Partnerships and stakeholders Maintain and strengthen Wordworks’ profile and reputation with key stakeholders and develop new partnerships to pilot innovative ideas.
Advocacy Represent Wordworks at relevant forums and give input to influence education policy and practice.
Governance Ensure that Wordworks has an effective Board and complies with legislation and best practice as required by its Constitution and the Independent Code of Good Governance.
Risk management Ensure that financial and capital resources are efficiently managed and the organisation is financially sustainable.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification, e.g. Education, Development Studies, Economic
- Ten or more years experience of working in the nonprofit, literacy, development or education sectors of which at least five have been as a senior manager.
- Ability to build the organisation’s vision and plans with the staff, stakeholders and board, and convey these clearly, and convincingly, to potential partners and donors.
- Previous experience of fundraising and understanding of the South African donor, CSI and philanthropic landscape.
- Strong partner relationship building skills, especially with Government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic financial management experience, including budget development, analysis and decision making.
- Knowledge of Early Childhood Development, the Foundation Phase, and/or early literacy education would be beneficial.
- Preference will be given to South African Black candidates as defined in the B-BBEE Act.
- Transparent, responsive, accountable and inclusive leadership style.
- High integrity, compassionate, and respectful
- Openness to innovation, reflective practice and learning
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy,commitment and productivity
- High level strategic thinking and planning.
Please send your CV and a 1-page motivation letter to [email protected]. For more information, go to https://www.wordworks.org.za or contact Este Buchholz on the above e-mail address for an applicant information pack.