mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Human Resources Specialist – Employee Relations
The role of the HR Specialist: Employee Relations is to provide HR specialist services at an organisational level for mothers2mothers in the areas of employee and industrial relations. This role provides specialist HR support through policy development, drafting, implementation, maintenance and capacity building, leading labour and industrial relations matters and maintaining labour legislation compliance across the organisation. The role works with both internal and external stakeholders within the organisation working at both a strategic and operational level. This position reports to the HR Director and is based at the m2m Head Office in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas:
1. HR Policy and Procedure Development, Implementation and Capacity Building
- Lead the development, drafting and implementation of HR policies and procedures at organisational and country level striving for global alignment while maintaining local specificity, legislation and context.
- Conduct the HR policy and procedure audit and lead the revision, management and maintenance of HR policies and HR Employee Manuals across the global organisation.
- Lead the capacity building and training of HR policies and procedures across the organisation, working with country HR representatives where applicable to develop their skills in the area.
- Support the HR Director in providing ongoing support to the leadership team on HR policies and procedures.
2. Industrial and Employee Labour Relations
- Lead Labour and Employee legislation audits organisationally to achieve compliance with all relevant labour and employee legislation in the labour markets where m2m operates, update m2m policies and procedures as needed and provide regular training and information sessions for directors and managers.
- Stay up to date with current labour legislation and developments, monitor working conditions to achieve organisational legal compliance, advocate for changes as needed.
- Lead on and process all employee and labour relations matters in general and specifically in relation to disciplinary, grievance and poor work performance matters, represent the organisation at the CCMA and/or country relevant body.
- Continually advise line managers on appropriate disciplinary action to be taken; put in place measures that enable organisational compliance with the disciplinary, grievance and poor work performance policies and processes.
- Draft and/or review all documentation related to disciplinaries, grievances and poor work performance matters.
- Support the HR Director in all disciplinary, grievance and poor work performance appeals.
- Assist line managers, employees and the Global HR team with capacity building on disciplinary, grievance and poor work performance matters, assist in investigations and case preparation.
- Review m2m employment contracts across the global organisation to comply with relevant labour and employment laws coordinating updates and amendments with labour/employment lawyers and country HR and leadership.
- Assist the HR Director with legislative reporting in general and specifically in relation to Employment Equity reporting in South Africa, will be a member of the Employment Equity Committee.
- Undertake the initial labour and employment law research when m2m enters a new country and lead the new country set up in the initial phases prior to handing over the implementation to the HR Business Partner.
- Liaise with m2m Employment lawyers, legal representatives and Employer Associations tracking ongoing cases and advising on risk mitigation and best approaches per case.
3. HR Strategy and Work plans
- In collaboration with the Head Office HR Team develop the annual HR strategic objectives and goals.
- Facilitate the HR input and process as related to the annual organisational work planning and reporting process.
- Work in close collaboration with the HO HR team to deliver on HR strategic priorities and annual work plan, providing a high level of service excellence and a business partnering approach to HR.
- Support the HR Director in reporting on the HR strategic focus and work plan for the year.
4. HR Risk Identification and Mitigation
- Lead on HR Risk Identification and mitigation practices in support of the HR Director.
- Draft, implement and maintain the HR Risk and Mitigation plan.
- Prepare relevant reports to maintain compliance with government regulations.
- Maintain all COIDA documents and records, track claims and lead on processes for HR compliance.
- Educate and inform HR Colleagues and Management on HR risks and mitigation strategies.
5. Knowledge Sharing and HR Projects
- Update and create employee access to all relevant HR documents on the HR SharePoint TeamSite or other portals as needed to promote knowledge sharing and institutional knowledge.
- Work with the HR Team to develop and implement identified HR projects as per the work plan and other assigned people projects and HR calendar activities.
- Assist the HR Team with daily operations as and when needed in a business partnering approach.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree
- Honours degree preferred
- NGO experience would be advantageous
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an HR Generalist or Specialist role
- Minimum of 3 years industrial and/or employee relations experience
- A solid understanding of international labour law and HR policy development with an ability to undertake benchmarking exercises and assignments in this regard
- Fluency in English essential (Portuguese would be an added advantage)
- Excellent writing and HR policy drafting skills with proven experience
- Ability to engage across different levels of the business moving between direct delivery and strategic input
- Well-developed presentation, facilitation and capacity building skills
- Mediation, arbitration and negotiation skills
- An understanding of specific labour/employee relations needs and challenges in the non-profit project-based sector
- Comfortable working with multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organisational and time-management skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Aptitude for critical thinking, problem diagnosis, problem solving and driving appropriate solutions
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://m2m.org/who-we-are/careers/ by 21 May 2021.