Teach A Man To Fish (TAMTF)
South Africa Country Manager, Teach A Man To Fish
- Location: Durban, Cape Town, Johannesburg/Pretoria. Note relocation costs will not be covered.
- Full time: 40 hours per week
- Salary: R 460,000 per annum total cost to company + 22 days of holiday annually
- Reporting to: Senior Manager - Training & Operations Teach A Man To Fish
- Management: South Africa Programme Officer
The overall aim of this role is to develop and grow Teach A Man To Fish’s reach in South Africa. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and creative all-rounder as the role is broad and interesting, from developing and implementing entrepreneurial education projects to managing the monitoring, evaluation and learning. The South Africa Country Manager will play a lead role in ensuring the financial sustainability of the South Africa programmes by actively prospecting and building relationships with donors, representing Teach A Man To Fish at partner/donor meetings, and developing proposals, in line with country and organisational strategy.
The role also includes all the tasks relating to the management of a small country office; ensuring compliance with relevant tax, governance and statutory requirements; developing in-country administration; HR and finance processes to ensure efficient operations and effective budget management; and line management of one staff member.
About Teach A Man To Fish
At Teach A Man To Fish our mission is to empower young people in schools with the skills and mindsets that help them to succeed in work and in life. We guide schools step-by-step to set up student-led educational and profitable school businesses that are both educational and profitable.
Participation in planning and running a real-life business empowers students with critical business, workplace, entrepreneurship and transferable life skills so that they leave school prepared to get a good job or run their own successful business.
We are a small organisation with big reach - since 2006 we have brought our pioneering School-Business Model to more than 100 countries, assisting over 300,000 young people. For further information got to https://www.teachamantofish.org.uk
Our approach to recruitment
We value diversity and welcome applications from applicants from all backgrounds. We employ people on the basis of their ability to carry out the role being recruited for. We ensure that no applicant receives less favourable treatment than any other on the grounds of disability, gender, race, religion or belief, age, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, caring responsibilities or hours of work.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a supporting statement (maximum 2 pages) setting out how you meet the person specification to [email protected] please use the email subject heading: South Africa Country Manager.
Closing date: 14th May 2021. Please note, only candidates who fulfil all the requirements and apply with both a CV and a Cover Letter will be considered. We will interview on a rolling basis.
We welcome applications from candidates who have 5 years of Programme Management and proven fundraising experience. The successful candidate will have lots of initiative, be a strong team player and have a passion for our cause bringing new ideas and fresh energy to the NGO. S/he will develop and manage programmes inline with the organisational and country strategy, seek additional funding to expand and grow our reach.
- Oversee the effective development of the organisation through strong local practices and processes in IT, HR, Finance and Safeguarding to ensure the smooth running of the South Africa country office and operations.
- Secure funding for South Africa operations and programmes. Work with the Head of Fundraising to develop and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy.
- Monthly financial reconciliations.
- Provide line management and support to South African staff; including weekly catch-ups, set objectives, reviews etc and support their professional development.
- Recruit & line manage other staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Contribute to work on strengthening programmatic systems and processes, including the development of teacher support resources when needed.
- Contribute to work around programme development and strategic thinking around new programmes.
- Recruit and manage all partnerships to help grow and expand the work of Teach A Man To Fish in South Africa.
- Carry out programme monitoring and evaluation activities in line with TAMTF's Theory of Change. Resolve issues and initiate appropriate corrective action.
- Work with the MEL & Consultancy Services Manager to ensure that lessons learned from the programme are captured and used to inform future programme activity.
- Write donor reports and steward donors.
- Represent TAMTF externally at conferences, meetings, workshops and other events.
- Support for the Senior Management Team asks as available and necessary.
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- The right to live and work in South Africa is essential
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field
- Proven track record of applying and securing funding for programmes
- Experience working within the education sector and with the Department of Education
- Experience recruiting and managing partners and stakeholders
- 5 years of Programme Management experience
- Superb written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt communications for different audiences
- Solutions-orientated with a demonstrated ability to proactively identify and solve problems
- Demonstrated interest in international development and education
- Proven experience of being able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with high-quality results
- Proven track record of developing and stewarding partnerships
- Excellent Programme management skills with keen attention to detail
- Confident user of Microsoft Office and Google Documents
- Experience of working in the international development sector
- Experience developing educational materials for teachers
- Experience of QuickBooks is desirable but not essential