Join 1 000 Women United Against Domestic Violence
As we celebrating International Women’s Day let’s not forget that one out of every four women in South Africa is in an abusive relationship. Every six days a woman in South Africa is murdered by her intimate partner. Every 25 seconds a woman or girl is raped in South Africa.
These shocking statistics are not new to us, because every time we read a newspaper or turn on the television, we are made aware of the escalating level of abuse towards women and girls that takes place in our communities every day. We are calling all South Africans to stand together as one voice and speak out.
Since 2004, the Women’s Hope Education and Training (WHEAT) Trust has been mobilising ‘1 000 Women to Unite against Domestic Violence’ in Cape Town.
Now in 2012, you are invited to join the 7th event in Cape Town.
About the initiative
The flagship event of the ‘1 000 Women United Against Domestic Violence’ initiative is a luncheon that will take place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre on the 17 May 2012. This exciting event offers inspiring speakers, wonderful entertainment, a great goody bag, and excellent networking opportunities.
We mobilise resources to provide access to skills, leadership capacity building and seed funding to women-led organisations.
“Being a patron of WHEAT and one of the founding members of the 1 000 Women United Against Domestic Violence Initiative, I believe every South African should get involved in this initiative.” Wendy Ackerman.
How can YOU get involved?
- Donate to the WHEAT Trust and provide funds for grants that support projects working with violence against women - visit www.wheattrust.co.za and donate online;
- Book a Friends/Book Club Table: ask nine guests to join your table for the 1 000 Women United Againts Domestic Violence luncheon. To join as a Table captain send email to firstname.lastname@example.org and stand a chance to win a prize;
- Become a significant partner in this prestigious one-of-a-kind event and add your name to the growing number of good citizens and companies that take a stand against domestic violence - Encourage your company to become involved on, Mobile: 073 207 9079;
- Visit our Facebook page and LIKE our work;
- Support a Grassroots women to attend the event;
- Buy a ticket and make sure you attend the event.
For more about Women’s Hope Education and Training Trust, refer to www.wheattrust.co.za. .
To view other NGO press releases, visit www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/pressreleases.