The South Africa Volunteer Work Camp Association’s (SAVWA) vision is to be a community-based, volunteer membership-driven, people-focused, self-sustaining and development-oriented organisation which is youth-centred and gender sensitive.
SAVMA’s mission is to contribute towards the development of South African communities both urban and rural through local, national, regional and international volunteers to work together towards the cultural, economic, socio-political well-being of young people and marginalised persons or groups through empowerment work camp programmes and promotion of sustainable development.
The SAVWA will work and collaborate with other volunteer-driven organisations and Regional Work Camp Associations.
Aims and Objectives
- To conduct voluntary-based work camps and community-driven development programmes in South Africa throughout the year and regional and internationally throughout the world participation;
- Conduct capacity building training and skills development for young people;
- Facilitate youth exchange for volunteers North to South, South to North, and South to South volunteer-driven work camps exchanges and developmental programmes; and
- To establish a volunteer work camp site in South Africa, a self-sustaining and youth oriented establishment.
- Since its inception in 2012, SAVWCA is looking to carry out projects in various communities of South Africa in the following categories:
- Construction: Roads and foot-bridges, low income housing, schools, clinics, churches and community centres;
- Renovation: Historic buildings, archeological and heritage sites;
- Environmental: Soil and water conservation, tree planting;
- Health: Water supply, pit latrines, HIV/AIDS awareness and mitigation; and
- Economic: Poultry, piggery and irrigation schemes, communal and home gardens and other income generating enterprises.
To view South Africa Volunteer Work Camp Association in the Prodder NGO Directory, click here.