Young in Prison South Africa (YiPSA)
Young in Prison South Africa (YiPSA) is a nonprofit organisation that offers a holistic programme, which seeks to prepare children and youth in conflict with law in making the transition from incarceration back into society through imparting life skills for behaviour change, offering skills development for effective reintegration and reducing reoffending.
Young in Prison (YiP) is an international network committed to improve the situation of incarcerated children and youth since 2002. We are currently a network of currently five members: Young in Prison Netherlands, Young in Prison South Africa, Music Crossroads Malawi, Ayara Colombia and Yaden Kenya. We co-created a methodology using creativity and the arts to teach life skills and run this methodology in different prisons across these five countries.
Are you interested in matters concerning youth and poverty worldwide? Do you also think there are better solutions about how society deals with youth in conflict with the law? Can you relate to the approach of Young in Prison, but are you at the same time capable of critically think about innovations within juvenile detention and alternatives in coping with youth in conflict with the law? Are you experienced in building an online community and do you have a background or interest in communication? Like working in an international environment? Then this is your dream job.
Young in Prison South Africa seeks to appoint an Online Community Manager for Young in Prison South Africa, based in Cape Town.
This project intends to build an international online community were civil society, academics, social entrepreneurs and youth who have been in conflict with the law themselves can share innovative initiatives and ideas, give feedback to each other, work towards future collaborations and join forces to get potential funders interested, convince governments and advocate for public support. With this project we aim to work towards a world in which alternatives to prison sentences for youth in conflict with the law are given the necessary support and the mind set of the public has shifted to be more understanding and supportive towards youth in conflict with the law.
- Research worldwide innovative projects that are working with youth in conflict with the law;
- Find at least five initiatives that are proven to have positive impact;
- Find another five innovative ideas or initiatives that are still to be proven;
- Publicise these 10 ideas via images, text and/or video on the platform;
- Actively use social media to share information about the platform;
- Initiate and stimulate interaction between the community members on the platform;
- Approach media, write press-releases to get media attention
- Co-create the manifesto of the community;
- Work with youth to gather their responses to the posts;
- Lead a small online public campaign;
- Liaise with four other community managers in different countries;
- Assist the Project Leader with other project related administration tasks.
- Available for 24 hours a week as per 13 April until 31 December;
- University degree in relevant field;
- Excellent English writing skills;
- Legally allowed to work in South Africa;
- Understanding of the issues facing young offenders;
- Minimum of two to five years relevant work experience in communication or community management.
What can we offer you?
- A lot of space for own initiative
- The chance to be part of a unique international network
- Flexible working hours
- A temporary contract of 24 hours a week
- Competitive salary, negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Young in Prison South Africa, refer to www.younginprison.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.