WWF South Africa
WWF is one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organisations, with almost 5 million supporters and a global network active in over 100 countries. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF South Africa is a national office that is part of the WWF network. It is a local NGO that for more than 40 years has worked towards the aim of inspiring all South Africans to live in harmony with nature, for the benefit of our country and the well-being of all our people.
WWF South Africa seeks to appoint an Executive Manager of Strategic Communications, based in Cape Town, to lead WWF South Africa’s communications vision for the organisation, direct its public relations efforts, oversee all communications efforts (both internal and external), coordinate the expression of its brand, and assist in marketing efforts. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the impact and consistency of our messaging.
The Executive Manager will play a key role in shaping efforts to influence the actions and practices of key audiences – corporations, individuals, donors, government ministers, multi- and bi-lateral organisations, foundations and partners – in support of our conservation mission. The Executive Manager will engage closely with the Heads of Business Development and Conservation Units, and work cooperatively with senior staff and communications professionals in South Africa and in the wider WWF network. S/he will help us understand how to best influence these audiences, what arguments and examples to use, and how to communicate them. S/he will develop a comprehensive communication plan that supports the accomplishment of WWF’s mission to deliver human well-being through conservation of healthy ecosystems and promotes worldwide understanding of WWF’s activities. S/he will work closely with the organisation’s leaders to reach diverse audiences and develop consistent, comprehensive key messages and tools that accurately portray the work and mission of the organisation.
The Executive Manager will be a team builder who will advocate the work of WWF, enthuse staff, supporters and audiences by communicating the relevance of conservation outcomes. S/he will be an effective partner with and advisor to the senior management of WWF South Africa.
- Maximizing the full power of WWF’s brand to support programmes and advance WWF’s environmental agenda, including supporting the efforts to materially influence the extent of WWF’s impact on priority environmental and conservation initiatives, supporting the establishment of sustainable income streams, and leading the broadening and engagement of WWF’s constituency;
- Leading the strategic coherence of WWF’s communications efforts across the organisation;
- Ensuring that the WWF’s mission is widely understood, and that there is consistency in the use and articulation of the WWF brand in South Africa.
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field, and a minimum of 10 years experience at senior leadership level;
- Outstanding leadership and visionary qualities and ability to work effectively with and through others in a decentralized organization;
- Practical ability to work effectively in a matrix environment so that functional and technical approaches enhance one another;
- Ability to work effectively and under pressure in a variety of simultaneous complex initiatives and issues;
- Experience implementing and overseeing performance measurement and ROI tools;
- Ability to create innovative strategies, partnerships and programs without existing models;
- Demonstrated ability in managing budgets, staff supervision, performance appraisals, coaching and building successful teams;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Effective presentation and negotiation skills;
- Extensive professional experience in public speaking and writing for publication;
- Strong interpersonal skills, presence and ability to effectively build strong relationships both internally and externally;
- Strong commitment to mission, goals, and values of WWF, including a demonstrated passion for the environment;
- In addition to fluency in English, a working knowledge in two other South African languages;
- Tolerance for ambiguity; patience with process and consensus-driven decision making;
- Able to travel when required.
To apply, submit a CV (including at least 3 references and their relevant direct contact details) and a covering letter motivating why you would be the ideal candidate for the position, to the HR Manager at email@example.com.
Please note that only e-mailed applications will be considered.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
WWF South Africa seeks to promote diversity among its staff. Candidates who have received no response within three weeks of the closing date should kindly assume that their application has not been successful.
WWF South Africa reserves the right not to fill this position.
For about the WWF South Africa, refer to www.wwf.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information and to make a donation.