World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded. Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life.
WFP seeks to appoint to appoint a Senior Information Technology Assistant, based in Johannesburg. Salary: As per United Nations salary scale. Job Grade: GS 6 (Fixed Term).
The UN WFP is looking for a suitably qualified candidate to fill the fixed-term position of Senior Information Technology Assistant (LAN) in support of the Regional Bureau for Southern Africa.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional ICT Officer, the Senior Information Technology Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Maintain systems and equipment by carrying out specialized tasks and supervising staff carrying out routine tasks, such as backing up data, monitoring network and systems, servers and peripherals, running systems diagnostics, patch management and system optimization, removing viruses and bad data, etc;
- Configuration and daily management of LAN/Wireless LAN for WFP and other UN Agencies; Perform advance functions on CISCO routers and switches;
- Server (MS Server 2008) Configuration and Maintenance; Manage and Verify backups;
- Maintain fibre, wireless (WAN) and VSAT connectivity; help troubleshoot issued and liaison with service providers and WFP expertise in other countries;
- Daily management of VOIP solutions (video conferencing; LYNC; Skype; CISCO VOIP), trouble-shooting and user support;
- Guide, train and supervise staff maintaining logs or archives of information, such as computer related logs, trouble tickets, directories, website publications, registries, data warehouses, reports, etc;
- Deploy and/or disseminate standard material, such as, computer hardware and/or software, applications, programs, directories, telephony, web content, publications, database content, training material, etc.;
- Resolve a variety of problems and/or assist in resolution of problems by identifying and forwarding issues to the appropriate person;
- Help evaluate, develop and recommend procedures. Participates in discussions one new/revised procedures and practices; interprets and assesses the impact of changes and makes recommendations on follow up actions;
- Provide remote support to other IT staff in the Southern Africa Region and occasionally travel to provide hands on support and training in area of expertise to staff in WFP Country office
- Train and support users of technology and systems, such as audio/videoconferences, meetings, databases, registries, networks, etc.;
- Help maintaining inventory of compute related equipment, communications equipment, website content, training material, etc.;
- Fill in for the Sr IT Assistant (IKM/Applications) during his/her absence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Preferably Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in IT related field. Minimum secondary school education
- Supplemented by technical training in electronic or telecommunications, computer technology or other related field. Completed CISCO certified network professional training;
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible job related experience in information technology or telecommunications or information management, such as, WAN/LAN networking, operating systems, telephone services, web content management or similar;
- Experience in client support, such as, a Help Desk or User Support Unit, web design team, telephone maintenance service or similar;
- Working language is English. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese will be an advantage.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
For more about the World Food Programme, refer to www.wfp.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.