Population Council South Africa
The Population Council opened an office in South Africa in 1999 to support HIV and AIDS operations research under the US Agency for International Development (USAID)–funded Horizons program. Over the last 12 years the portfolio expanded to include work on reproductive health, gender, and youth. The Council engaged in research and programming in areas of global and local priority, including; maternal and child health; quality improvement of, access to, and appropriate use of reproductive health services; reduction of HIV transmission and mitigation of its impact; reduction of levels of gender-based violence as well as technical support for comprehensive preventive treatment as a result; working with most-at-risk populations including children, migrants, and men who have sex with men; and building capacity to conduct research designed to enhance program performance and policy formulation.
The Council has successfully established a new local NGO called Population Council South Africa (PCSA). PCSA is registered as a section 21 company and thus is a not-for-profit, South African NGO.
Population Council South Africa NPC (PCSA) seeks to appoint the following positions for the USAID funded project: Improving Access and Delivery of Comprehensive Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for Sexual Assaults Adults and Children.
Positions are based in Gauteng, Johannesburg. These positions are one-year fixed term positions. Preference will be given to South African nationals.
- Training Manager
- Coordinates and manages the timely implementation of training activities across a range of projects;
- Manages key relationships with stakeholders and donors;
- Supervise one or more staff members and consultants, provides technical assistance to partner organizations and participates as part of the office management team;
- Takes lead in preparing final reports and is lead author for papers published in peer-reviewed journals;
- Reviewing reports on program activities to influence and guide service delivery, policy and implementation;
- Regularly makes oral presentations at conferences and is an invited speaker. Represents the program/PCSA to partners and at national and international conferences;
- Negotiates, prepares, and monitors individual project budgets and for overall program budget within the office;
- Works closely with M&E staff to lead interpretation and presentation of program data;
- Ensure timely delivery of high-quality products, review reports on program activities to influence and guide service delivery, policy and implementation;
- Masters degree with minimum of five years relevant experience. Experience in curriculum development is essential;
- Previous experience in coordinating, managing national and provincial training programs;
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and principles governing the activities for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Gender and Youth;
- Knowledge of research programmes;
- Ability to meet short deadlines and willingness to work additional hours during deadline periods;
- Experience in managing staff;
- Excellent writing and communication skills; presentation skills;
- Experience working with local government, NGOs, and community organisations;
- Computer competence including Micosoft Word, Power Point and Excel;
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Operations Coordinator
- Advise the organization's leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors;
- Oversee and supervise the administrative function of the organization including reception, property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations;
- Assist in the management of all leases, service contracts and other financial commitments in line with USAID procurement regulations ;
- Assist with the planning and preparation of regional, national and provincial meetings and conferences;
- Oversee the bookings of meeting venues, accommodation and all the necessary travel arrangements;
- Act as a contact person for all communication and IT related issues;
- Maintain an on-site inventory of office equipment and manage the monthly procurement of office supplies;
- Update employee, service provider and partner databases;
- Oversee organisational petty cash administration and control;
- Liaise with all service providers;
- Liaise with technical team on all the issues pertaining to operational support of the programme;
- Liaise with printers and designers and oversee all training and program materials.
- Business Administration qualification, certificates in management, bookkeeping and accounting systems are essential;
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a similar role;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office (Professional), Access, MS Project and accountancy programs is essential;
- Experience in events coordination;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills required to meet deadlines;
- Strong results orientation and commitment to accountability;
- Appreciation and ability to work in a multicultural context;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Valid driver’s licence.
Applicants can apply by sending their CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Please ensure that you meet the requirements criteria for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.