South African History Archive
Established in 1988 by anti-apartheid activists, the South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent human rights archive committed to documenting, supporting, and promoting greater awareness of historical and, since 1994, contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
SAHA seeks to appoint a Junior Archival Researcher for the successful preparation of archival materials for the launch of a new digital repository on non-racialism in 2015.
This is a grant-funded, temporary position at the SAHA offices at Constitution Hill (full-time: four to six weeks; part-time: three to four months).
This position is based in Johannesburg.
- Conducting research in support of project publication development, and exhibition preparation, including copyright permission clearance;
- Digitising and creating online access to archival materials, in line with standards and best practices for archival description, processing and arranging archival holdings and generate encoded finding aids;
- Qualification in archives, heritage, history or related field;
- Experience in working with archival collections, conducting archival research;
- Demonstrable understanding of archival principles and practices;
- Familiarity with database management and library/archive management systems;
- Experience in publications or exhibitions development within the South African context;
- Experience working in an NGO/ civil society context;
- Ability to plan, prioritize work, and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Competency with Microsoft Office software and web content management systems;
- General fitness for lifting archive boxes and moving loaded carts.
To apply, submit a CV (no longer than three pages), with a one-page cover letter that clearly indicates your suitability for this role and includes the contact details for at least one professional referees by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Archival researcher application 2015/03 – [Your Name]” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Proposed interview date is on 24 March 2015 and proposed starting date in early April 2015.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.