University of Cape Town - Perinatal Mental Health Project (PMHP)
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health
Faculty of Health Sciences
Research Officer/Senior Research Officer: Perinatal Mental Health Project (12-month contract)
The Perinatal Mental Health Project (PMHP) requires the services of a Research Officer/Senior Research Officer. This is a full time post for a 12-month contract with appointment, starting as soon as possible. The appointee will be based at the PMHP offices on UCT’s Sawkins Road campus, but may need to travel locally, nationally and internationally.
- Master’s degree in Public Health or Psychology (or similar training and skills set);
- Track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Thorough working knowledge of statistical packages for data analysis and ability to interpret results.
Additional qualification required for Senior Research Officer:
- PhD in relevant discipline (e.g. Public Health, Psychology, Development studies;
- Evidence of successful research grant awards;
- Experience in liaising with international researchers and programmes;
- Experience in research project management.
The main purpose of this position is to:
- Coordinate PMHP research activities;
- Contribute to other research projects with which the PMHP partners;
- Pursue research grants for the PMHP.
Applicants should have the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to write and communicate with a range of target audiences - including academic and report-writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good organisational and time management skills;
- Ability to work well as member of a team as well as independently;
- Valid driver’s licence and own car.
- PhD in relevant discipline (e.g. Public Health, Psychology, Development studies);
- Experience in supervision of postgraduate students;
- Ability to conduct and analyse qualitative research;
- Interest in women’s mental health.
The annual remuneration package for this full-time contract position, is negotiable between R280 000 to R400 000, and will be dependent on qualifications and experience.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Sally Field, Perinatal Mental Health Project Coordinator at email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc)
- Motivational letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application that does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: +27 21 689 8390 (mornings only)
Reference number: I-3020
Closing date: 22 September 2014