United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the food aid branch of the United Nations, and the world's largest humanitarian organisation addressing hunger worldwide.
The United Nations WFP seeks to appoint a National Programme Officer, Resource Management Analyst, based in Johannesburg.
Internal Vacancy Announcement: OMJ/VA 20/2013
Position Grade: NOC (fixed term)
The National Programme Officer will be under the direct supervision of the Regional Resource Management Analyst, the National Programme Officer: Resource Management Analyst will be accountable for the below duties.
- Review budget and revised budget plans for new and ongoing projects to provide expert advice on budgetary adjustments required for effective utilisation of funds by COs;
- Recommend follow up actions in respect to approval process for all projects so that all documentation is in line with the Programme Review Committee (PRC) recommendations and data in WFP corporate systems is accurate; and
- Provide comprehensive analysis on project performance and financial surplus / deficit, and recommend appropriate actions to be undertaken by CO management.
- Monitor level and conditions for unassigned funds in projects to alert Fund Managers on approaching deadlines and actions to be taken;
- Monitor the use of resources assigned to projects and provide expert advice to Fund Managers on actions to be taken in case of potential shortfalls and surpluses;
- Provide input into the design of tools to facilitate monitoring of resource utilisation and identification of surpluses and shortfalls;
- Support the preparation of advance financing requests by providing recommendations; monitor and provide advice on all internal and external borrowing and repayment arrangements;
- Advise on actions required for closure of operations; and
- Provide expert advice on regulations and procedures related to resource management and financial reporting.
Operations Implementation Planning
- Support the preparation of various documents, e.g. funding proposals and assignment plans, budgets for donor proposals, import parity forms and presentation of costs versus benefits of local purchases, etc;
- Monitor commodity and cash requirements, availability and shortfalls (pipeline) for all operations in the region;
- Ensure that CO pipeline submissions are accurate and reflect project requirements and situation on the ground;
- Collate operational pipeline data and prioritise operations within the RB according to severity of pipeline shortfalls;
- Advise RB management and Headquarters (HQ) on resource allocations;
- Support the preparation of pipeline reports and strategy definition for the utilisation of resources during emergencies;
- Coordinate or advise on coordination of commodity loans and borrowings between countries within the region and between regions; and,
- Provide food-demand plan aggregated by common corridors to support management of the Forward Purchase Facility (FPF) and provide information to guide Regional Bureau decision-making when multiple projects compete for the same FPF stock;
- Prepare and disseminate comprehensive regular / ad hoc analytical reports related to resource management to facilitate forecasting and decision making process;
- Oversee accuracy of data in all operational reports prepared by COs or HQ;
- Develop staff capacity in budget planning, fund management and operational planning through training and coaching ;
- Contribute to corporate initiatives in support of funds and budget management and corporate system enhancements; and,
- Perform other duties as required.
- University degree in business administration, finance, accounting, economics or other related field with advanced training / courses in management of resources or other related field. Advanced university degree in the above-mentioned fields is an asset;
- Minimum of five years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in financial, budgeting and accounting systems in commercial enterprises, national governments or international organisations;
- Knowledge of standard computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets;
- Knowledge of ERPs (SAP, Oracle or similar software packages and systems) and/or use of database;
- Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices and understanding of resources planning, monitoring and reporting including the linkages to operational effectiveness;
- Knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures;
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an advantage.
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter and a United Nations Personal History Form (P.11), to: HR.Johannesburg@wfp.org, quoting announcement No: 20/2013.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the World Food Programme, refer to www.wfp.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.