Treatment Action Campaign
The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) is a membership-based civil society organisation that campaigns for quality healthcare for all in South Africa - with a particular focus on people living with and affected by HIV and tuberculosis.
TAC seeks to appoint a Communications Coordinator, based in Cape Town.
The candidate will take responsibility for driving and managing TAC’s internal and external communications. The Coordinator should be a pro-active person with a passion for social justice who can help us with the important work of turning around the South African public health system.
- Develop an annual communication strategy;
- Take responsibility for day-to-day internal and external communication;
- Build relationships with all media and other organisations that work in health;
- Compile and oversee distribution of newsletters and press statements;
- Assist TAC’s provincial offices with the editing of materials for various communication platforms;
- Take responsibility for editorial content and overall management and maintenance of the TAC website.
- Managing Media/ External environment:
- Initiate and manage media briefings and press conferences;
- Act as TAC National spokesperson when the General Secretary is not available;
- Write press releases;
- In collaboration with researchers, develop updated materials (pamphlets and posters) for distribution to all provinces.
- Knowledge management
- Maintain archive of relevant media articles;
- Ensure sharing and exchange of relevant knowledge for the benefit of enhanced organisational performance.
- Train national and provincial leaders with the goal of building a public profile in the media;
- Provide and/or organise training and support for national and provincial TAC staff on engaging with the media.
- Tertiary qualification: Preferably journalism or Communications;
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English;
- Ability to identify report on, and promote TAC’s campaigns;
- Good understanding of the public health system and the science of HIV and TB;
- Able to present in public and engage with the media;
- Excellent research skills;
- Minimum of three years experience working as a Senior Communications Officer;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Able to work in a pressurised environment with short deadlines;
- Able to travel extensively throughout South Africa;
- Able to trouble shoot and deal creatively with challenges;
- Excellent team player;
- Passion for social justice, especially health.
To apply, submit a CV listing qualifications, prior work experience and at least three referees who can attest to your ability and success in this function and a motivational letter outlining your interests in working within this field and your suitability for this position (approx. 1 000 words) to The Human Resource Manager, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
The organisation is particularly interested in considering women and people living with HIV.
Please note that if you do not receive a response within 4 weeks of the closing date, you should consider that your application was not successful.
For more about the Treatment Action Campaign, refer to www.tac.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.