The Township NPO is an ASB nonprofit organisation that inspires women to walk towards opportunities. Township: a Story of Enterprise and Empowerment. What began as a conversation with women in the townships around Cape Town has become a dynamic social enterprise. The organisation has built a thriving network of seven worker-owned sewing cooperatives supporting around 70 women and their families; and it is still growing.
Township NPO seeks to appoint a Cooperative Development Intern, based at the ASB Operations Centre – Epping 2, Cape Town; Cooperatives – Khayelitsha, Manenberg, Westlake communities.
This opportunity allows the person passionate about working in previously disadvantaged communities to start making a difference right away. To the person who's focus is Social and Economic Development, the experience and understanding you will accrue will be invaluable. The structure of the development strategies we have, are flexible. The cooperatives are the heart of the Township NPO and their development and sustainability is very important to us. The person perfect for this job, will be making a large contribution to the company and the cooperatives with whom they work.
The intern will report to the Operations Manager.
This is a six-month internship – with possibility to formally join company at the end of the internship.
Starting date: April 2013 or nearest alternative.
- Ensuring smooth functioning and scalable growth of township® - accredited co-operative network;
o On-going monitoring of Service Level Agreement between ASB and the cooperatives;
o Deployment of training initiatives;
o Supervision of the effective implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation frame work.
- Participation in the selection and engagement / set-up of new groups.
- Understand the social and cultural background of women cooperatives;
- Understand the township® business model and the cooperative model;
- Understand the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) frame work for the cooperatives development;
- Develop individual improvement plans (one per cooperative);
- Deploy training initiatives in line with M&E outputs – manage training delivery process including reporting and operational management;
- Support all activities necessary to support growth and development objectives; particular focus on:
o Business skills development;
o Conflict Resolution within co-operatives memberships.
- Cooperative development quarterly assessment and reporting (M&E).
- Social and economic development or human resources studies;
- Interest in communities development;
- Project management education background;
- Fluency in English and isiXhosa, knowledge of Afrikaans is a plus;
- Work well in a team and independently;
- Professional, creative and dynamic presence with the ability to communicate with people at all levels;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Own transport and ability to travel between Cape Town (Head Office), Epping (Operations Centre) and the community-based cooperatives.
Allowance: R2 500 personal monthly allowance - company expenses (travel, phone) to claim back.
To apply, submit a CV to Lorraine@township.co.za
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Township NPO, refer to www.township.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.