Thembalethu Development NPC
Thembalethu Development was founded in April 2002 as a nonprofit company /nonprofit organisation with the aim of becoming the socioeconomic development agency of choice for the mining industry, government, the corporate private sector and international donors. We work in South Africa, Mozambique, Lesotho and Swaziland.
Thembalethu Development seeks to appoint a Provincial Manager with experience in managing rural development projects and to provide support to TD’s portfolio of agriculture and food security projects.
The Provincial Manager will also evaluate current practices, identify/propose improvement paths and provide technical advice to the organisation’s portfolio of projects in the Eastern Cape Province.
- Design and implementation of project activities - development of work plans and management of teams;
- Assuring quality control of project activities, including supporting teams, reviewing deliverables, providing feedback;
- Conduct research and development research reports, technical notes and related activities
- Managament of budgets and activity resource;
- Maintain positive relationships with partners and clients;
- Supervision of junior staff. Mentoring and development of same;
- New business activities including technical writing, recruitment, cost, partner recruitment and management, strategy development.
Technical support on agriculture and food security projects
- Identify crop varieties with commercial potential and encourage adoption by local farmers;
- Develop models which link small-scale farmers and community projects to commercial farmers and markets;
- Collect and analyse data and samples of produce, feed and soil, and study other factors affecting production;
- Advise emerging farmers, the community and cooperatives about techniques for improving production of crops and livestock;
- Advise farmers about issues such as livestock and crop disease, control of pests and weeds, soil improvement, animal husbandry and feeding programmes;
- Advise the community and farmers on factors affecting crop production, pasture growth and animal breeding;
- Advise farmers on the effects of cultivation techniques;
- Develop procedures and techniques for solving agricultural problems.
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of project grants applications; budget preparation, completion of certifications, compiling materials, ensuring compliance, communicating with grants officials;
- Monitor project reporting; verify quarterly financial reports, prepare summary spreadsheets, authorise payments;
- Research grant opportunities for Thembalethu Development;
- Ensure compliance with the rules and regulations of the Funder; oversee audits by the Funder
- Monitor interventions to ensure compliance with Funders' guidelines;
- Serve as liaison between Thembalethu Development and Funders in the Eastern Cape.
- Bachelor's degree in agricultural science;
- Minimum of five years practical experience in the agricultural sector, including;
- Farm management including irrigation management;
- Knowledge of topics related to agricultural development;
- Experience in the Eastern Cape Province;
- Passion for commercial agriculture in a pioneering context;
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
To apply, submit a completed application form (can be found on www.thembalethudev.org), a CV, contact of three referees and motivation letter telling why you should be considered for the advertised position to Cynthia Sentle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the position applied for in the subject line.
For more about Thembalethu Development, refer to www.thembalethudev.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.