Steve Biko Foundation
Established in 1998, the Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organisation inspired by the legacy of the late anti-apartheid activist.
The Foundation seeks to appoint a Assistant Restaurant and Catering Manager, based at the Steve Biko Centre in Ginsberg, King William’s Town, Eastern Cape.
Reporting to the Centre Manager, the primary function of this position is to oversee and run the day to day operations of the restaurant, bar, kitchens, concessions and catering.
- Restaurant and Catering Administration
- Effectively manage the restaurant and catering aspects of the Centre in the absence of the Centre Manager, with passion, integrity, and knowledge while promoting the culture and values of the Centre;
- Solicit guest feedback to understand the needs and wants of customers;
- Develop creative solutions to improve operations, service and quality as necessary and implement any approved new company policies and procedures by developing plans and instructing staff;
- Understand and employ the principles of menu planning, standard portions and costing and assist in regular implementation of new menu items.
- Consistently monitor product and labour costs to remain within targets.
- Day to day Operational Supervision
- Conduct staff and daily pre-shift meetings;
- Create a positive guest experience by delivering a high level of service and ensuring all staff engage guests to understand their needs and exceed expectations in delivering these;
- Manage the restaurant and catering facilities to exceed legislated standards in food quality, safety, and cleanliness;
- Follow Foundation restaurant policies and procedures, including monitoring and maintenance of the POS System, as ell as cash handing and safety/security and security policies;
- Ensure the continuous implementation of stock control systems and conduct regular stock checks;
- Assist in any areas of the restaurant when staffing constraints require.
- Human Resources and Staff Development
- Identify and delegate responsibilities to shift leaders and staff to ensure objectives are met and excellent service is consistently achieved;
- Provide direction to shift leaders and staff to achieve internal restaurant goals;
- Train and coach staff on guest service principles and practices, and in particular identify employee weaknesses and retrain as necessary;
- Consistently review operations and staff to identify any problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement and provide coaching and feedback to managers and staff as well as undertaking an assessment of performance on an on-going basis.
- Have a post secondary degree or diploma in restaurant and hospitality management or institutional food service management with a minimum of two years of relevant experience;
- Reliable self-motivated individual with the ability to lead innovation, to motivate employees and to contribute to impact;
- Have leadership qualities with good problem-solving skills and the ability to focus on detail;
- Neat and clean in appearance, with good health and stamina, self-confidence and be able to respectfully deal with multiple audiences;
- Good communicator in multiple languages to a wide variety of audiences;
- Calm, flexible, and able to work through stressful situations;
- Be computer literate with excellent organisational skills.
Remuneration: Remuneration will be market related and commensurate with experience.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT. IF YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR THIS POSITION PREVIOUSLY, BE ADVISED THAT YOUR APPLICATION WAS UNSUCCESSFUL AND THAT YOU SHOULD NOT APPLY AGAIN.
To apply, submit a detailed CV indicating the post for which you are applying and a motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to: 086 647 6873.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.