Star For Life
The Star For Life (SFL) - Southern Africa is a nonprofit making organisation whose mission is to inspire young people in believing in their dreams for the future and to support them to live an AIDS-free life while fulfilling their dreams. The Project is based on universal approaches, where a school has been identified as one of the most suitable site for an intervention that address challenges facing young people. SFL has operations in South Africa and Namibia, with plans to expand its operations into other Southern African countries.
Star For Life seeks to appoint three Life Skills Coaches. One will be based in Katlehong and two in Soweto, Johannesburg.
The SFL - Coach ensures that agreed-upon SFL School Based activities are conducted successfully, these include conducting workshops for learners, class room sessions, consultations, counselling, inter-SFL school activities (such as debates, sports, reading clubs) and coordinating raising of the SFL flag in SFL schools. The SFL coach will be expected to work hand in hand with Life Orientation Educators, Lay Counsellors’', and Local Stakeholders.
Life Skills Coaches will report to area’s Project Managers.
- Build on foundational workshops conducted by a Life Skills coach, to increase awareness and understanding of reproductive and sexual health including HIV / AIDS;
- Initiate awareness campaigns in schools, Nice and Clean campaigns, HIV and AIDS, drugs and alcohol awareness;
- Advocate for change in mindset, attitude and sexual behaviour amongst learners through extensive use of the Star For Life instruments, including the Dream Book;
- Inform and counsel learners, educators and parents (where necessary) on health including HIV / AIDS, its consequences on physical health as well as on its impact on the family and community, using a combination of one-on-one counselling and coaching sessions, group motivational talks and practical activities as well as experiential workshops;
- Identify appropriate themes and arrange resources such as audio visual and other materials that will have impact on implementation of various SFL programmes;
- Coordinate sessions and counsel learners for at least two to four hours per week;
- Preferably a degree in Behavioural Sciences as well as social sciences;
- Minimum two years experience in similar work;
- Good communication skills;
- Good time management skills, poised to meet deadlines, self-driven, able to work with minimal supervision and paying attention to detail;
- Act responsibly and with care and diligence;
- Behave in an exemplary manner that upholds the values espoused by SFL and in a manner that does not in any way compromise the integrity of Star For Life;
- Ability to write and submit weekly reports, detailing progress made and challenges encountered in the implementation of planned activities in their designated schools.
To apply, submit a CV, relevant qualifications and motivation letter to the office of the Executive Director, for the attention of Precious Dlamini at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or fax to: 035 562 0422.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Fiona Delvaux-Beswick, Tel: 035 562 3149.
For more about Star For Life, refer to www.starforlife.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.