Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference (SACBC)
The Southern African Bishops' Conference's (SACBC) aim is to foster the spirit of communion within the universal Church and between the particular churches. The particular aim of the Conference is to provide the bishops of the territories with facilities for consultation and united action in such matters of common interest to the Church as consultation and cooperation with other hierarchies; the fostering of priestly and religious vocations; the doctrinal, apostolic and pastoral formation of the clergy, religious and laity; the promotion of missionary activity, catechetics, liturgy, lay apostolate, ecumenism, development, justice and reconciliation, social welfare, schools, hospitals, the apostolate of the press, radio, television, and other means of social communication; and any other necessary activity.
SACBC seeks to appoint a Coordinator for the Justice and Peace Department, based in Pretoria.
The Coordinator will report to the Chairperson and Executive of the SACBC Justice and Peace Department and the Secretary General of the SACBC.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent, theological qualification will be an advantage;
- Decision making, problem solving and coordination skills;
- Ability to work with key stakeholders within and outside the Church;
- Strategic change management skills;
- Fundraising and financial management skills;
- Lobbying and advocacy skills;
- Ability to mediate difficult situations;
- Participatory people management style;
- Five years or more working experience and management experience, within the non-governmental/development sector, particularly within the Catholic Church environment;
- Understanding of the socio-political and economic realities of South Africa, Botswana and Swaziland;
- Prepared to work long hours at times and to travel frequently.
Strategic leadership of the Justice and Peace Department
- Strategic planning and visioning of Justice and Peace in the Catholic Church;
- Assist the Catholic Church to make meaningful interventions to promote Justice and Peace in society;
- Influence and advance the participation of all the bishops and their dioceses in Justice and Peace issues;
- Monitor the policy environment and identify issues to be responded to;
- Formulate the lobbying and advocacy agenda of the Justice and Peace Department;
- Develop and maintain an overall fundraising strategy.
Fundraising and financial planning
- Manage the fundraising including the compilation of budgets, submission of proposals, writing progress reports and liaison with funders;
- Monitor and approve budgets linked to project/programme plans;
- Ensure that the funds are raised for both core and programme costs;
- Oversee cash flow, financial reporting to the Executive, and the departmental audit.
Human Resources Management
- Ensure that all staff have job descriptions and that these are updated as necessary;
- Ensure the implementation of the organisation’s policies and procedures, such as induction, supervision, performance management, grievance, disciplinary as well as staff training;
- Facilitate overall teamwork and organisational development.
Stakeholder Relationships Management, Donor management
- Liaise and network with other strategic partner organisations;
- Serve as official spokesperson for the Department;
- Lobby key stakeholders.
- Convene meetings with the Executive, including agenda preparation, documentation and overseeing logistics;
- Strategy formulation with the Executive;
- Facilitation of key stakeholder workshops.
Salary package is commensurate with working in a church organisation.
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter and three contactable referees to Fr Mike Deeb at email@example.com or post to P.O. Box 941 Pretoria 0001, hand deliver to 399 Paul Kruger Street, Pretoria, or fax to: 012 325 6125.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Justice and Peace Department reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference - Justice and Peace Department, refer to www.sacbc.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.