Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC)
SALC’s Regional Advocacy Programme utilises regional and international mechanisms to ensure country compliance with human rights and the rule of law. It does this through engaging with regional and international mechanisms, training local lawyers and civil society organisations, and facilitating legal networks throughout the region.
SALC seeks to appoint a Project Lawyer for the Regional Advocacy Programme, based in Johannesburg.
Working under the direction of the Director, the Project Lawyer will be responsible for carrying out SALC’s regional and international advocacy efforts.
- Providing strategic direction for SALC’s regional and international advocacy work;
- Developing relationships with lawyers and non-governmental organisations;
- Coordinating with SALC’s issue-specific programmes to ensure SALC’s priority issues are addressed at the regional and international level;
- Conducting relevant legal and factual research and drafting reports for advocacy purposes;
- Conducting advocacy with respect to specific issues, including engaging in media advocacy;
- Organising and convening meetings, trainings and conferences on key issues and representing SALC at relevant meetings and conferences.
- Degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are desirable;
- Proven interest and experience in human rights issues and regional and international law preferably in Africa;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Portuguese or French is highly desirable;
- Ability to work comfortably in a variety of settings;
- Engage easily with fellow colleagues from the southern Africa region;
- Experience in or familiarity with non-profit, governmental or intergovernmental organisations;
- Excellent knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments;
- Excellent legal and factual research skills including online sources;
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel extensively.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Pamela Timburwa at email@example.com.
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre’s website is not operational.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.