Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC)
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC works in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
SALC’s HIV Programme works to address the needs of those infected and affected by HIV in southern Africa. It does this through working with lawyers and civil society organisations to support legal cases before domestic courts, training and facilitating legal networks throughout the region.
SALC seeks to appoint a Project Lawyer - HIV Programme, based in Johannesburg.
Working under the direction of the Deputy Director, the Project Lawyer will be responsible for carrying out SALC’s legal work and advocacy related to the needs of those infected and affected by HIV in the region.
- Providing and monitoring monetary support to local lawyers and organisations for on-going legal cases;
- Developing relationships with local lawyers and non-governmental organisations;
- Developing and coordinating legal cases on HIV-related issues;
- Conducting legal and factual research and drafting reports for advocacy purposes;
- Conducting advocacy with respect to specific legal cases, including engaging in media advocacy;
- Organising and convening meetings, trainings and conferences on key issues and representing SALC at HIV-related meetings and conferences.
- Degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are desirable;
- Proven interest and experience in human rights issues and health rights preferably in Africa;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Portuguese or French is highly desirable;
- Ability to work comfortably in a variety of settings;
- Engage easily with fellow colleagues from the southern Africa region;
- Experience in or familiarity with non-profit, governmental or intergovernmental organisations;
- Excellent knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments;
- Excellent legal and factual research skills including online sources;
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel extensively.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Pamela Timburwa at email@example.com.
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre’s website is not operational.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.