Southern Africa Litigation Centre
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC works in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
SALC seeks to appoint a Litigation Director, based in Johannesburg.
The successful candidate should be highly qualified, motivated lawyer to lead its litigation work in the region.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Litigation Director will be responsible for developing, managing and carrying out SALC’s legal work in key programmatic areas. Key programmatic areas include HIV, women’s sexual and reproductive rights, women’s access to land and property, international criminal justice, media defence, prisoners’ rights, rights of people living with disabilities and sexual rights.
- With the Executive Director, develop and implement SALC’s litigation strategy in particular substantive areas;
- Supervise and participate in ongoing litigation;
- Work with staff to develop potential new litigation within SALC’s programmatic areas;
- Provide and monitor monetary support to local lawyers and organisations for on-going legal cases;
- Develop relationships with local lawyers and non-governmental organisations;
- Supervise and participate in legal and factual research and drafting reports for advocacy purposes;
- Conduct advocacy on key issues, including engaging in media advocacy;
- Fundraise and develop and maintain relationships with donors;
- Organise and convene meetings, trainings and conferences on key issues and representing SALC at relevant meetings and conferences.
- Degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are desirable;
- Minimum of five years of legal experience, preferably in one or more of SALC’s current programmatic areas;
- Proven interest and experience in human rights, preferably in Africa;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Portuguese or French is highly desirable;
- Ability to work comfortably in a variety of settings;
- Engage easily with fellow colleagues from the southern Africa region;
- Experience in or familiarity with non-profit, governmental or intergovernmental organisations;
- Excellent knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments;
- Excellent legal and factual research skills including online sources;
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel extensively.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to Pamela Timburwa, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about The Southern Africa Litigation Centre, refer to www.southernafricalitigationcentre.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.