South African History Archive (SAHA)
The South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent human rights archive committed to documenting and raising awareness of past struggles against apartheid, as well as on-going struggles in the making of democracy in South Africa. SAHA is dedicated to using the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) to extend the boundaries of access to information.
SAHA seeks to appoint an Office Manager, based in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
SAHA is looking for an experienced office manager who is politically aware, creative, professional and adaptable in order to help SAHA achieve its goals. This person should be able to work as part of a team and be committed to the development and promotion of human rights in South Africa. The Office Manager is central to the effective functioning of the organisation and will report directly to the SAHA Director.
SAHA will be giving preference to candidates from previously disadvantaged groups.
This is a one-year fixed term contract position, renewable depending on funding and performance.
- Finance and accounting - The Office Manager will coordinate the financial administration of SAHA through processing and acknowledging incoming and outgoing funds, the payment of bills, petty cash control, online banking, maintaining records of transactions, asset registers and insurance registers, and assisting with budget preparation and reconciliation;
- Reception - The Administrator is required to perform reception functions, including fielding incoming telephone calls, welcoming visitors, answering enquiries from the general public, sorting mail, and keeping a record of calls and visitors;
- Record keeping - The Office Manager is expected to maintain systems for record keeping effectively, including updating the SAHA contact database, filing all records in a systematic manner (electronic and hard copy), and backing up computer files as required;
- Meetings and logistics - The Office Manager is responsible for taking minutes of meetings as required; managing the office diary; making office travel and accommodation arrangements, including obtaining quotes and making bookings; and liaising with venues and organisers of events involving SAHA staff;
- Administrative support - The Office Manager is further required to prepare reports and correspondence (as directed by SAHA Director), maintain and expand contacts databases, manage the use of office equipment and stationery; scheduling appointments; typing; emailing; sorting mail; and distributing SAHA’s publications and products.
- Relevant higher education qualification and at least three years experience in administration;
- Experience managing financial and human resources records in line with relevant legislation and organisational policies and procedures;
- Writing skills – including skills required to draft documents and correspondence in English;
- Strong, demonstrable IT skills, including advanced use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, preferably with experience working with a web content management system;
- Experience maintaining and implementing organisation filing systems, both in the physical and the digital environment;
- Organisational and time-keeping skills and the ability to prioritise work effectively;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to work independently, without close supervision;
- Demonstrable knowledge of human rights issues.
Additional attributes desired (not required)
- Experience within the NGO sector;
- In addition to English, fluency in one of South Africa’s other official languages;
- Valid driver’s licence.
Salary: A competitive remuneration proportionate to experience will be offered.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum two pages), contact details for at least two professional referees and motivation letter with salary expectations (maximum two page) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Interviews will take place on Thursday 7 June 2012.
For more about the South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.