South African History Archive (SAHA)
The South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent human rights archive committed to documenting and raising awareness of past struggles against apartheid, as well as ongoing struggles in the making of democracy in South Africa. In-line with this central mission, the Freedom of Information Programme (FOIP) at SAHA is dedicated to using South Africa's Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA) to extend the boundaries of access to information in South Africa.
SAHA seeks to appoint an Intern, for its Freedom of Information Programme, based in Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
The FOIP Interns report to the FOIP Advocacy and Training Outreach Officer.
This is a six-month internships starting from October 2013.
Support the work of the FOIP team through:
- Submit and tracking requests made of public and private bodies under PAIA;
- Assist in the delivery of SAHA's PAIA training to NGOs and CBOs;
- Track legislative development and jurisprudence that have implications for the constitutional right of access to information;
- Conduct research, as directed, into national and regional use of access to information legislation, as directed.
- Degree in law, political science, public administration, journalism or other relevant field;
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice;
- Ability to plan, prioritise work, and meet deadlines;
- Ability to show initiative within a collaborative working environment;
- Attention to detail;
- Written communication skills;
- Competency with Microsoft Office software.
Internships are on a full-time basis and interns will receive a monthly stipend for the duration of the internship.
To apply,submit a CV, contact details for at least two professional referees and a one-page motivational letter (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following three questions:
- What is the purpose of Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA)?
- What were the motivating factors behind the development of PAIA?
- Provide an example of how you think PAIA could be used to support struggles for justice in South Africa?
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about the South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.