ANDE (Aspen Network of Development Entreprenuers)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that invest money and expertise to propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. Officially launched in 2009, we are a member-driven organization housed within the Aspen Institute, an international non-profit that promotes enlightened leadership. Our members are the vanguard of a movement that is focused on small and growing businesses (SGBs), with a vision of building prosperity in the developing world.
For ANDE, SGBs represent the “missing middle” in the entrepreneurship spectrum – businesses with high potential for growth that are too large for microcredit and too small for private equity. ANDE identifies common strategic challenges and opportunities facing SGBs, and provides relevant programs and services for our members and the sector as a whole. We aspire to be the leading convener and conduit for organizations and individuals committed to building SGBs in the developing world. We act as a trusted advocate for the SGB sector, educating investors and policy makers about the extraordinary opportunity the sector represents.
“Distinguishing small and growing businesses from micro or low-growth SMEs is critical. ANDE has offered those of us in the enterprise development field working with SGBs fellowship, education, partnership, and funding opportunities, and a common language that was virtually nonexistent prior to ANDE’s formation. ANDE’s efforts have been invaluable in carving out and building the capacity of this increasingly important ‘middle space’ in the enterprise development spectrum.” Mercy Corps
“For those of us who were founding members, it’s really tremendous to see how quickly it’s growing and what good it will generate.” Rockefeller Foundation
ANDE’s South Africa Chapter
The South Africa chapter is made up of ANDE members who are actively working to support small and growing businesses (SGBs) throughout the region. Members benefit from the opportunity to network and learn from other like-minded organizations in the region. Our mission is to catalyze the ecosystem for SGBs that aim to solve social and environmental problems. Connecting pioneering organizations in this area, locally and globally, we are striving to get more players involved in building the field, to mobilize greater resources, and to strengthen the support offered to SGBs. Our vision is to create communities of SGBs across South Africa, improving the lives of South Africans and serving as a role model for other emerging markets.
About the role:
ANDE is seeking a Chapter Coordinator to lead the efforts of the South Africa chapter, which up until now has been managed by a Steering Committee of local members. Responsibilities will include:
- In partnership with the Chapter Leader, Steering Committee and local members, delivering the existing chapter strategy and increasing focus on outreach and building new networks in the region with banks, governments, business member organizations etc
- In the first six months, developing the long term business and financial sustainability model for the chapter – including fundraising
- Handling the day to day operations of the chapter including organizing meetings and events, meeting regularly with members, etc.
- Acting as the primary liaison between ANDE Global and the chapter – drawing down resources from the global network and ensuring that locally based members are actively engaging, as well as feeding information on the region back into the global network
- Managing special initiatives of the chapter – such as supporting the development of an angel network, supporting the development of the social enterprise sector, working on a pipeline sharing initiative for ANDE members, reaching out to local and regional entrepreneurs, spearheading speaker series, sector mapping, and harmonizing capacity building tools and activities among providers – as necessary
- Handling communication to and amongst local members and other regional stakeholders
- Representing the chapter in regional industry gatherings and events
- Promoting the chapter and recruiting new members
- Managing the chapter budget
- Increased number and diversity of organizations engaged in the sector;
- Improved positioning of ANDE among relevant stakeholder groups;
- More organizations becoming ANDE members;
- Improved financial sustainability of operations;
- Stronger pipeline of innovative SGBs in South Africa;
- Increased understanding and usage of impact metrics among members.
Who are we looking for?
- Bachelor Degree minimum, Advanced Degree preferred
5 to 8 years of relevant experience, including:
- Partnership management;
- Strategic and operational planning;
- Project management;
- Stakeholder management
- Ability to inspire others
- Development of networks
- Concise communication
- Fluent in English (reading, writing, conversation)
- Availability to travel within South Africa and internationally up to 30%
The role is based in Johannesburg. Non-South African candidates must already have the necessary documents to work in South Africa
To apply, please submit a cover letter, with salary expectations, and CV to email@example.com, addressed to Max Pichulik with the subject ‘ANDE South Africa Regional Chapter Coordinator’. Resumes without cover letters and salary expectations will not be considered. Position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.