Soul City Institute
Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication (Soul City Institute) is a dynamic and innovative multi-media health promotion and social change communication organisation, which has been in existence since 1992. Through drama and entertainment Soul City Institute’s mass media vehicles reach more than 16 million South Africans. This is achieved through two main brands, Soul City targeted at adults and Soul Buddyz targeted at 8-14 year olds and adults in their lives.
Soul City seeks to appoint a Print and Development Manager, based in Gauteng.
The person is expected to effectively manage the development, production, printing and distribution of all print and training materials by ensuring strict quality control, rigid cost management and timeous delivery of materials.
Development of Soul City Institute print materials
- Develop a publishing strategy for Soul City’s print materials;
- Position Soul City within the publishing sector as a key provider of resources in the field of popular public health;
- Investigate synergy between publishing and new social media and position Soul City to innovate in this area;
- To look for new markets for our print and publishing;
- Input into research design and integrate research feedback into manuscript development and booklet layout and design to ensure maximum appropriateness and uptake of materials;
- Oversee the writing, editing, development, design, layout, printing and publishing of print materials for Soul City Institute in South Africa;
- Commission and mentor the writer/s, the design and layout and print service providers as required by various departments;
- Mentor and develop capacity among internal Soul City personnel in publishing process and strategy. Ensure content is consistent with Soul City Institute objectives, message briefs, campaigns and relevant legislation;
- Develop and oversee production schedules in consultation with the relevant Soul City Institute material developers and managers;
- Develop consistent style for all Soul City Institute print materials;
- Conduct quality control of publications to ensure synergy of style and standard within the organisation;
- Review and update the materials production process, including translations;
- Keep abreast of local and international print and design technology and methodology, and incorporating such into Soul City Institute print and publication execution;
- Manage the updating and production process for all reprints ensuring content is in line with Soul City Institute’s and the country’s national messaging;
- Initiate creative and innovative ideas for the optimal use of publications and the re-versioning of existing print materials;
- Ensure publication contracts are in Soul City’s best interests;
- In consultation with internal stakeholders, ensure logos, disclaimers and copyright informationis accurate on all publications as per contracts and funding agreements;
- Create and mange catalogue for archiving and accessing Soul City’s photographic resources;
- Ensure all publications have ISBN numbers and that accuarate recordal information and copies are sent to libraries as per instructions from National Library in Pretoria.
- In consultation with the Senior Managers, developing training materials development strategy to support Soul City Institute’s objectives, and campaigns;
- Ensure the accreditation of identified courses;
- Establish cooperative arrangements with appropriate institutions/organisations;
- Establishing a framework of collaboration with the SETAs;
- Participating in various educational and training forums and committees to further the advancement of training development in the health and development sector;
- Identify emerging trends that will influence learning needs into the future;
- Bring innovative skills building and coaching techniques and methodologies to Soul City Institute’s training programmes.
- Oversee the administration of all training and materials development projects, ensuring that all tasks and activities are executed timeously and at the highest standards;
- Prepare reports and presentations as and when required;
- In consultation with the Senior Managers, prepare and monitor the budgets for all training and materials development projects;
- Manage the team responsible for the implementation of training and materials development projects.
Warehousing and distribution
- Develop distribution management strategies that require minimum warehousing usage;
- Ensure that the organisation’s inventory management, warehousing, logistics and distribution functions are operating efficiently and effectively;
- Manage the Distribution Centre agency.
- Build strategic partnerships with key stakeholders and ensure stakeholder satisfaction;
- Build strategic partnerships to innovate in the field of social media.
- In consultation with the Executive: Programmes, prepare and collate the annual budget for all Soul City Institute print materials;
- Prepare expenditure projections as and when required;
- Monitor monthly actual expenditure against budgets, identify variances and ensure that the necessary follow up action is taken;
- Comply with all financial policies and procedures (including procurement);
- Manage service providers/suppliers in accordance with the terms and conditions of the relevant contracts;
- Undertake spending with due regard to value for money and ensure that service provider pricing is competitive;
- Identify and adequately manage internal and external high level risks to the organisation and programmes;
- Prepare documents and presentations for Board requirements.
Human resources management
- Effectively direct, guide and manage the Print Coordinator and Distribution coordinator;
- Develop the capacity of the Print Coordinator to ensure that he/she has the necessary knowledge and skills to perform his/her functions optimally;
- Hold the Print Coordinator accountable for all deliverables and responsibilities;
- Take ownership and accountability for all deliverables and responsibilities assigned to the Print Manager position;
- In consultation with the Executive: Programmes identify own training and coaching requirements to achieve optimal performance;
- Contribute to the development of a committed programme team with individuals who work well together and provide each other with mutual support, assistance and cooperation;
- Comply with all HR policies and procedures;
- Participate in the management of the organisation.
- Prepare reports as and when required;
- Prepare and deliver presentations at relevant international and local meetings and forums;
- Prepare papers and articles for conferences, journals, magazines, newspapers, books and websites.
- Degree or an equivalent qualification, preferably in the social sciences;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in publishing and editing;
- Minimum of five years experience in project management, writing and development of health communication or educational materials is essential;
- Minimum of three years experience managing budgets and finances in excess of R1 million per annum;
- Minimum of three years experience at a managerial level, including managing teams;
- Experience in writing materials for children would be an added advantage;
- Sound understanding of adult learning and training techniques and methodologies;
- Sound experience in developing educational materials for children is required;
- Experience in developing magazines is also critical;
- Knowledge of the edutainment development process would be an added advantage;
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Communication skills in other South African languages would be an added advantage;
- Strong organisation and management skills;
- Able to generate and adapt creative ideas and solutions to improve performance;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Ability to negotiate and present Soul City Institute to service providers;
- Thorough knowledge of a range of publishing software;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office - including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook;
- Sound knowledge of public health;
- Sound knowledge of project management principles and practices;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise;
- Ability to generate and adapt creative ideas and solutions to improve performance;
- Ability to use analysis, logic, experience, skill and knowledge to solve problems;
- Ability to manage time - strict adherence to timelines is critical;
- Ability to analyse, interpret and translate research information into written materials;
- Meticulous and able to pay attention to detail;
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good team player;
- Results focused;
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Soul City Institute, refer to www.soulcity.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.