Soul City Institute
The Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication (Soul City Institute) is a NGO that works in social and behavioural change programmes. It focuses on sharing information and affecting social norms, attitudes and practice.
Soul City Institute uses a unique combination of media, social mobilisation and advocacy to create an enabling environment for social change, empowering audiences to make healthy choices, both as individuals and as communities.
Soul City Institute seeks to appoint Finance Manager, based in Johannesburg. Job grade: 6.
The person will be responsible for the day-to-day management of finances within Soul City Institute to ensure that funds are managed and accounted for in an effective and sustainable manner.
The person will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
This is a two-year fixed-term contract position.
Accounting and cash flow management
- Ensure that accurate accounting records are maintained in accordance with IFRS and GAAP;
- Ensure that relevant and accurate financial reports are prepared and distributed timeously;
- Assist the CFO in the design and implementation of internal controls, financial policies and procedures;
- Supervise and review the work of the finance team;
- Manage the organisation’s cash flow and ensure interest on surplus cash is optomised;
- Authorise and sign cheque and EFT payments;
- Ensure that income tax and other relevant legislation is complied with.
- Lead and manage the annual budgeting process;
- Prepare the budget submission to the Audit Committee;
- Manage the preparation of quarterly expenditure forecasts;
- Monitor actual expenditure against budgets, identify variances and ensure that appropriate follow up action is taken;
- Prepare / review budgets for grant proposals.
Donor Reporting and Compliance
- Ensure that donor funds are properly managed and accounted for;
- Approve donor financial reports and ensure timeous submission;
- Ensure that grant payments by donors are timeously requested and received;
- Liaise with donors and attend donor meetings as required.
- Prepare statutory annual financial statements in compliance with IFRS;
- Lead, manage and oversee audit preparations and liaison with auditors to ensure timeous, efficient and successful statutory and project audits;
- Ensure that audit findings are timeously resolved.
- Identify areas for potential cost savings;
- Review the effectiveness of accounting and reporting systems on an ongoing basis to identify areas for enhancement;
- Ensure that Soul City Institute staff are provided with efficient and effective assistance from the finance unit;
- Ensure that financial policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to.
- Conduct training on finance requirements for Soul City Institute staff and partner organisations, when required;
- Manage service providers/suppliers in accordance with the terms and conditions of the relevant contracts;
- Assist the procurement manager in ensuring spending by the organisation is undertaken with due regard to value for money and in accordance with the procurement policy;
- Assist the CFO in Identifying and managing risk;
- Prepare reports and presentations for management, donors and the Board;
- Participate in the management of the organisation.
Human resources management
- Comply with all HR policies and procedures;
- Effectively direct, guide and manage the finance team;
- Performance management of direct reports;
- Engage with the finance team on the organisation’s vision and values to ensure a shared understanding.
- Registered Chartered Accountant – CA (SA);
- Strong Accpac knowledge and experience is preferable;
- Minimum of five years financial management experience at organisations with annual budgets in excess of R25 million;
- Work experience in the nonprofit sector will be advantageous.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong planning and organisation skills;
- Meticulous and able to pay attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Able to multi-task and prioritise;
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision;
- Good work ethic;
- Ability to exercise judgement;
- Ability to use discretion and deal with sensitive information in a confidential and professional manner;
- Honesty and integrity;
- Innovative in problem solving;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to use own initiative and take ownership of his/her tasks;
- Ability to analyse and evaluate data and information;
- Ability to generate and adapt creative ideas and solutions to improve performance.
- Good team player.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Soul City Institute, refer to www.soulcity.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.