Soul City Institute
Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication (Soul City Institute) is a dynamic and innovative multi-media health promotion and social change communication organisation, which has been in existence since 1992. Through drama and entertainment Soul City Institute’s mass media vehicles reach more than 16 million South Africans. This is achieved through two main brands, Soul City targeted at adults and Soul Buddyz targeted at 8-14 year olds and adults in their lives.
Soul City seeks to appoint a Finance Consultant, based in Johannesburg.
This is a six-month position.
The Consultant will report to the Chief Financial Officer
The Finance Consultant will assist with the responsibility of the day-to-day management of finances within Soul City Institute to ensure that funds are managed and accounted for in an effective and sustainable manner.
- Accounting and Cash Flow Management
- Assist with preparing and/or reviewing financial reports for donors and Soul City management;
- Assist with managing the organisation’s cash flow and ensure interest on surplus cash is optomised;
- Review contract reconciliations and commitments register on a monthly basis;
- Review creditors and debtors on a monthly basis and ensure long outstanding amounts are followed up and resolved by company accountant;
- Reconcile timesheets to salary recoveries from grants and implement corrective action where required;
- Manage the revenue forcast to ensure that it is accurate and complete;
- Assist with audit preparations and liaison with auditors to ensure timeous, efficient and successful statutory and project audits.
- Monitor actual expenditure against budgets, identify variances and ensure that appropriate follow up action is taken;
- Prepare budgets for grant proposals.
- Donor Reporting and Compliance
- Ensure that donor funds are properly managed and accounted for;
- Review donor files and records (physical and electronically) for compliance and completeness based on requirements developed by finance manager;
- Review donor financial reports and ensure appropriate notes are included to explain variances;
- Liaise with donors and attend donor meetings as required.
- Identify areas for potential cost savings and /or improved efficiency;
- Ensure that Soul City Institute staff are provided with efficient and effective assistance from the finance unit;
- Ensure that financial policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to;
- Conduct training on finance requirements for Soul City Institute staff and partner organisations, when required;
- Assist the CFO in Identifying and managing risk;
- Prepare reports and presentations for management, donors and the Board.
- Human Resources Management
- Comply with all HR policies and procedures;
- Assist with mentoring / coaching of finance team
- Bacholors degree in finance;
- Strong Accpac knowledge and experience is preferable;
- Minimum of five years financial management experience at organisations with annual budgets in excess of R25 million;
- Work experience in the nonprofit sector will be advantageous;
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office - including word, excel, powerpoint and outlook;
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong planning and organisation skills;
- Meticulous and able to pay attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise;
- Knowledge of caseware software;
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision;
- Good work ethic;
- Able to exercise judgement;
- Able to use discretion and deal with sensitive information in a confidential and professional manner;
- Honesty and integrity;
- Innovative in problem solving;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to use own initiative and take ownership of his/her tasks;
- Ability to analyse and evaluate data and information;
- Ability to generate and adapt creative ideas and solutions to improve performance;
- Good team player.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Soul City Institute, refer to www.soulcity.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ngopulse.