Sonke Gender Justice Network
Sonke Gender Justice Network is a South African-based non-governmental organisation (NGO) that seeks to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice Network seeks to appoint a Volunteer Administrative Assistant for the Prisons Project, based in Western Cape.
Prisons across the country are host to distressingly high numbers of HIV-infected people, and corruption of prison officials, violence, gangs and rape are rife in correctional facilities. It is well-known that the rate of recidivism is high and that prison sentences do not do much in the way of correcting the behaviour of the convicted, and often worsen the condition of ex-prisoners’ lives. For these reasons and more, Sonke decided to implement a project that focuses explicitly on improving the health-seeking behaviours of prisoners in local correctional facilities. The project is a couple of years old now, and has expanded to work with both male and female inmates in 12 prisons.
Both inmates and correctional officers are trained as peer educators to act as leaders within their prison community, providing support, education and an example of healthy living to their counterparts. Health areas covered by the project include education on anal and cervical cancer, TB, diarrhoea, contraception, and sexually transmitted infections. All peer educator groups are continually supported by Sonke’s prisons team, who run frequent follow-up workshops. One focus of the project is to reduce HIV infection rate through HCT and Treatment Adherence programmes.
The Prisons team works with prisoners in the Western Cape on issues of health, offering training, hosting events and collaborates with the provincial Department of Correctional Services.
The volunteer assistant will support the prisons training and advocacy team with advocacy for improved prison conditions, as well as their admin and reporting. In doing so, the Volunteer will gain a range of administrative experience.
- Administrative support to the Prison’s Project staff:
- Assist with typing minutes of meetings;
- Manage office filing, manage incoming and outgoing correspondence,
- Assist with preparing and submitting travel and accommodation requests for approval, preparing and submitting payment requisitions for approval;
- Finances and Procurement:
- Support the team to ensure reimbursements and reconciliations are done on a regular basis;
- Ensure payment requisitions are properly completed;
- Assist with procurement services, obtaining and processing quotes and maintaining filing of finance records.
- B Admin Degree; B.A. Degree or Secretarial Diploma, or any other relevant qualification;
- Understand Microsoft Office;
- Basic understanding of basic filing;
- Typing and word processing skills;
- Fluency in English as well as one other local language is preferred;
- Understand Gender, HIV and SRHR is a benefit but not a prerequisite.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum two pages), motivational letter and contact details of atleast one reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Do not contact the Sonke offices, shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: this is an opportunity to obtain work experience and Sonke will only pay a monthly stipend.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.