Sonke Gender Justice
Sonke Gender Justice Network is a South African-based non-governmental organisation (NGO) that seeks to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV/AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
Sonke Gender Justice Network seeks to appoint a Finance Manager, based in Cape Town.
The successful candidate reports to the Operations Director, forms part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and supervises a high-functioning finance team. Some regional and local travel is required.
In support of the Operations Director and in consultation with the Senior Management Team, the Finance Manager will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic financial management to Sonke;
- Co-ordinating internal and external audits (organisational and funder-specific);
- Budgeting, forecasting, as well as financial monitoring and reporting;
- Managing procurement processes within the organisation
- Oversight and management of financial policies, operating procedures and systems;
- Risk management;
- Provide reports and make presentations on all financial issues for board meetings;
- Supervision of the finance team.
Strategic financial management
- Work with Sonke’s Operations Director and SMT to develop, refine and guide Sonke’s strategic vision through managing internal and external processes; and providing costing for operational/project activities;
- Co-ordinate and develop budgets based on the organisations strategic plan;
- Monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of the organisation and recommend appropriate investment opportunities to strengthen the organisation’s reserves to provide financial sustainability;
- Take responsibility for strategic financial management and financial analysis in the organisation, to ensure quality, relevance, cost effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting;
- Revise, amend and implement Sonke’s financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards;
- Work with the Operations Director and Grants Specialist to ensure that all funding contracts are rigorously managed to avoid organisational risk;
- Provide reports and make presentations on all financial issues to SMT and at board meetings;
- Develop and improve internal reporting processes & support programme staff in budget development;
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated annually, ensuring the organisation has mechanisms for the monitoring of internal controls and compliance;
- Manage the cash flow of the organisation, together with all bank accounts, petty cash floats and organisational credit/debit cards, prepare/review cash flow projections on an ongoing basis and advise the Operations Director & SMT on cost saving measures across the organisation.
Management of finance department
- Convene weekly team meetings and monitor implementation of the unit’s work plan;
- Conduct monthly documented supervision meetings and performance appraisals with staff members;
- Manage staff development plans and other human resource matters for the Finance Unit and play a key role in building the financial management skills of the team;
- Facilitate team building, team identity and strengthen working relations between staff members.
Management of audits
- Coordinate the external annual audit, donor specific audits, and oversee internal audits;
- Coordinate pre-audit meetings to establish expectations and requirements prior to the audit, make recommendations on findings and ensure prompt corrective action is implemented where appropriate;
Payroll management and adherence to statutory
- Manage the efficient administration of payroll and oversee timely processing of payments;
- Ensure that Sonke is compliant with all statutory requirements and payments.
Management of assets
- Provide oversight and management of the organisation’s property & equipment including the Asset Register.
- Work closely with the grant specialist to ensure that the register of funders is regularly updated, revised on recommendation of the auditors and approved by the Board;
- Together with the grant specialist ensure that donor reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts;
- Ensure that monthly Income and Expenditure reports, year-to-dates, showing expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed for the remainder of the project are prepared as per the various deadlines.
- Bachelor of commerce degree. B.Com Honours degree will be advantageous;
- Exceptional knowledge of GAAP;
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility and ability to take on and complete projects;
- Minimum of five years senior management experience & proven experience in managing a finance team;
- Experience working with and managing strategic relationships with international donors;
- Working knowledge of the King III: Report on Good Corporate Governance;
- Thorough knowledge of Pastel;
- Knowledge of international donor/funding requirements and ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members;
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues;
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and work to strict deadlines;
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams;
- Fluency in English a requirement and valid driver’s licence essential;
- Multi-tasker whose compliance, deadline and control oriented.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum two pages), contact details of two referees, motivational letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not be contacted by 30 May 2014, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.