Sonke Gender Justice Network
Sonke Gender Justice Network is a NGO that works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to support men and boys to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence, and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice Network (Sonke) seeks to appoint a committed, suitably qualified and experienced individual as Finance Director, based in Cape Town.
The successful candidate reports to the Executive Director (ED), forms part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and supervises a high-functioning finance team. Regular regional and local travel is required.
In support of the Executive Director and in consultation with the Senior Management Team, the Finance Director will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic financial management to Sonke;
- Coordinating internal and external audits (organisational and funder-specific);
- Budgeting, forecasting, as well as financial monitoring and reporting;
- Managing procurement processes within the organisation;
- Oversight and management of financial policies, operating procedures & systems;
- Risk management;
- Reporting to the board of directors on financial matters;
- Supervision of the finance team.
Strategic financial management
- Work with Sonke’s ED and SMT to develop, refine and guide Sonke’s strategic vision through managing internal and external processes; and providing costing for operational/project activities;
- Coordinate and develop budgets based on the organisations strategic plan;
- Monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of the organisation and recommend appropriate investment opportunities to strengthen the organisation’s reserves to provide financial sustainability;
- Oversee the development and submission of an annual operational budget that supports the organisation’s operational plan;
- Take responsibility for strategic financial management and financial analysis in the organisation, to ensure quality, relevance, cost effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting;
- Work with the Operations Director and Grants Specialist to ensure that all funding contracts are rigorously managed to avoid organisational risk.
Management of Finance Department
- Revise, amend & implement Sonke’s financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards;
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated annually, ensuring the organisation has mechanisms for the monitoring of internal controls and compliance.
Develop standard operating procedures for policies for finance and procurement
- Manage relationships with all service-providers in relation to financial matters;
- Ensure that all finance documents are rigorously managed, including electronic filing on the server;
- Coordinate the external annual audit, donor specific audits, and oversee quarterly internal audits;
- Coordinate pre-audit meetings to establish expectations and requirements prior to the audit, make recommendations on findings & ensure prompt corrective action is implemented where appropriate;
- Ensure that Sonke is compliant with all statutory requirements and payments;
- Manage the cash flow of the organisation, together with all bank accounts, petty cash floats and organisational credit/debit cards, prepare/review cash flow projections on an on-going basis and advise the ED & SMT on cost saving measures across the organisation;
- Oversight and management of the organisation’s property and equipment including the Asset Register;
- Manage the efficient administration of payroll and oversee timely processing of payments;
- Liaise with the Resource Mobilisation Manager to ensure that the register of funders is regularly updated, revised on recommendation of the auditors and approved by the Board;
- Ensure that donor reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts
- Prepare monthly Income and Expenditure reports, year-to-dates, showing expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed for the remainder of the project;
- Provide a quarterly list of donors detailing financial commitments per project/funder;
- Develop and improve internal reporting processes & support programme staff in budget development.
Coordination with Board of Directors
- Ensure that Sonke complies with the Companies Act 2008 and related regulations, and with relevant governance codes, submitting all necessary returns to CIPC;
- Provide reports and make presentations on all financial issues for board meetings.
- Registration as Chartered Accountant with a Bachelor of commerce – Honours degree (B.Comm Honours), or Master’s degree in accounting/finances, with a very good working knowledge of South African accepted accounting practices;
- Exceptional knowledge of GAAP particularly in a South African organisation;
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility and ability to take on and complete projects;
- Five to eight years senior management experience and proven experience in managing a finance team;
- Experience working with and managing strategic relationships with international donors
- Working knowledge of the King Three Report on Good Corporate Governance;
- Knowledge of international donor/funding requirements and ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members;
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues;
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks, work to strict deadlines;
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams;
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential;
- A multi-tasker whose compliance and control oriented.
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Sonke’s Human Resource Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from Sonke by 28 February 2013, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.