Sonke Gender Justice
With a full-time staff of 100 people working from offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke Gender Justice works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
Sonke Gender Justice seeks to appoint a Accountant, based in Cape Town.
The Accountant will be responsible for preparing and analysing accounting records, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Ensure compliance with the Sonke financial policies and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements;
- Drafting of all invoices and follow up on outstanding payments;
- Run debtors age analysis from Pastel;
- Maintain schedule of all payments received;
- Transaction process
- Capture all transactions on Pastel Evolution timeously;
- Manage and reconcile bank accounts, petty cash and manage cash flow;
- Reconcile balance sheet items on a monthly basis. Process various journals including accruals and pre-paid transactions and attend to month end processes
- Complete VAT submissions;
- Financial reporting and training
- Prepare internal and external financial reports;
- Prepare full analysis of all balance sheet accounts at each month end;
- Capture budgets onto Pastel Evolution;
- Provide support to programme staff regarding budgets and financial reporting;
- Provide training to non-finance staff;
- Assist in the preparation for the annual audit and additional donor specific audits;
- Preparation of year end schedules and compile all other documentation required by the external auditors.
- Diploma or degree in financial management or extensive experience;
- At least 10 years experience in accounting;
- Minimum of five years experience in working in the finance unit in a similar position of a medium sized South African NGO;
- Working experience with Pastel Evolution;
- Strong understanding of financial management principles;
- Proficient in MS Excel;
- Knowledge of SARS policies and processes;
- Conversant with International Financial Reporting Standards;
- Able to handle pressure and change;
- Deadline driven;
- Excellent attention to detail.
Salary negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply, submit a CV, and a motivational letter (please provide contact details of two referees) detailing experience to Sonke’s Human Resource Department to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 21 November 2014, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.