Solidaridad Network Southern Africa
Solidaridad Network is a civil society organisation with nine regional offices in four continents specialised in sustainable supply chain development. Together with producer organisations, the business community, governments and civil society organisations, Solidaridad Network creates initiatives for sustainable trade with the ultimate goal that good economic, social and environmental practices become a normal part of the business.
Solidaridad Network's Southern Africa (SolidaridadSA) seeks to appoint a Project Developer/Manager, based in Johannesburg.
S/he is expected to have skills and abilities to both develop projects and to be able to work within the fundraising arena, while also being able to project manage and implement certain aspects of Solidaridad’s projects.
This is a one-year contract position, renewable depending on availability of fund.
- Provide assistance and expertise for development of new projects creating fair and sustainable supply chains, from producer to consumer, the target beneficiaries are smallholders in Southern Africa;
- Carry out other tasks as required for the design and submission of successful project bids and grant applications;
- Project management and implementation of projects;
- Work closely with all stakeholders in the sector, from small holder farmers to big business, government, labour and grant funding agencies;
- Such other duties as the organisation may at times reasonably require.
In conjunction with the Solidaridad Network Southern Africa team, to secure new projects for SolidaridadSA through:
- The provision of information and materials on potential new projects as requested by the SolidaridadSA Regional Director in the development of proposals and bids;
- Collaborative team working on new projects with the SolidaridadSA staff and Regional Director;
- Provision of written and oral presentations to support project development activities;
- Development and submission of Expressions of Interest (EOIs), tenders and bids;
- Development of project ideas for and submission of grant applications;
- Identification of likely funding and grant sources for project ideas;
- Marketing of project ideas to potential funders through meetings and other activities;
- Development of working relationships and collaborations with other organisations to complement the work of SolidaridadSA.
Research project ideas and concepts in conjunction with the SolidaridadSA team, including:
- Research, analysis and provision of structured information as required for project activity;
- Preparation and delivery of written material required for the management of projects;
- Monitoring of financial information for specific project activity;
- Monitoring of work to ensure targets are met and that outputs are of expected standard;
- Administration, supervision and management of some project activity and projects;
- Overseeing project staff;
- Teamwork with other SolidaridadSA staff and associates as required;
- Personal knowledge of agriculture, standards and of smallholder initiatives throughout Southern African region.
- Degree in development or agriculture or any other relevant discipline;
- Knowledge and experience of working in sustainable agriculture and the smallholder sector and its applications within business in Southern Africa;
- Knowledge of agricultural markets both local and abroad;
- Experience in project development and project management work;
- Knowledge of agricultural standards;
- Domain knowledge in agricultural commodities: tea, cotton, fruit and soy;
- Problem solving ability, and research and analysis skills and experience;
- Organisational skills and ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English and preferably knowledge of Afrikaans and an African language. Knowledge of Portuguese will be an advantage;
- Flexibility, initiative, the ability to prioritise workloads and to respond to deadlines;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office and ability to master new applications;
- Project management skills.
Will be preferred
- Postgraduate qualification;
- Track record of successful submissions of grant applications and project bids;
- Experience and success in project delivery and in project management;
- Numeracy skills and knowledge of additional software packages;
- Working knowledge of funding sources and potential project partners for project implementation, particularly in the Southern African context;
- Agronomic expertise and experience.
The incumbent will be expected to travel extensively within the southern African region and from time to time internationally.
Salary: A salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered. SolidaridadSA offers the following benefits: pension provision, and a generous annual leave allowance.
Solidariad is an equal opportunity employer. Solidariad works regionally - Southern Africans and non-South African are welcome to apply.
Solidariad reserves the right not to make any appointment during this process.
Enquiries: Dorah Marema, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, submit the following to SolidaridadSA at email@example.com:
- A short motivation (one page maximum) in support of your application demonstrating how you meet the requirements of this post, and citing any relevant experience in bid development and project work
- Names and contact details of two referees (previous employer(s) or academic supervisor) who can comment on your suitability for this role
- Details of any current employer and your current salary and benefits package. If you are not currently employed please give details of the last salary that you received
- Details of when you would be able to commence work if you were offered the post
Should you not hear from SolidaridadSA within two weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about Solidaridad Network, refer to www.solidaridadnetwork.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Secure your place in the 25th anniversary edition of the Prodder NGO Directory which will be released on 24 October 2012. Refer to www.prodder.org.za for more information.