Volunteer and Service Enquiry Southern Africa (VOSESA) is a unique not-for-profit organisation which seeks to strengthen volunteering and civic service in southern Africa through research, publishing and convening. Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, VOSESA has made significant contributions to understanding the nature, scope and impact of volunteering and civic service in southern Africa and is widely recognised as a knowledge-leader in the field. To read more about VOSESA’s work, visit its website at www.vosesa.org.za.
VOSESA has been commissioned by the South African National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) to conduct a forward-looking study on youth perceptions of volunteering in South Africa. The research is a foundational piece of the NYDA’s initiative to promote youth volunteering in South Africa, which was launched in January 2012 and is being undertaken with the support of the Flemish Government.
The key aims of the research are to:
- Gain insight into the different perceptions young people have about volunteering;
- Identify motivating and disabling factors that either motivate or demotivate young people to volunteer; and
- Obtain recommendations for communication tools that will profile volunteering in terms that appeal to young people from diverse walks of life.
VOSESA requires a part-time research coordinator from 1 August through mid-October 2012 to support the implementation and project management of the youth volunteering perceptions research project.
The researcher should have the following qualifications:
- Post-graduate degree (preferably PhD) in social sciences or related field
- Experience with managing fieldwork in South Africa from identification of field researchers to submittal of final report
- Experience with managing the data capture process which involves both qualitative and quantitative data
- Excellent writing and analytic skills in English
- In-depth knowledge of social development issues in the country concerned
- Good communication and management skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to deliver to deadline and work as a member of a team
- An interest in or knowledge of youth development and/or volunteering and civic service is desirable
- Fluency in any South African languages other than English is a plus
Your specific responsibilities may include any of the following in relation to the youth volunteering perceptions research:
- Coordinate the execution of research, data capture and analysis
- Spearhead recruitment of researchers and support staff for project
- Review desk reviews
- Assist with the drafting of research instruments
- Conduct fieldwork as needed
- Assist with drafting the research report
- Liaise with client as needed
- Assist with the formatting and designing of presentations
- Assist with the organisation of research related events (e.g. data analysis workshops, trainings, team meetings)
- Provide regular updates regarding research progress
- And any other reasonable and related tasks that may be assigned to you from time to time in relation to the youth volunteering perceptions research
Note that the research coordinator would be expected to work from the VOSESA office.
Interested individuals should send a CV, a letter outlining their interest and qualifications, and the names and contact details of three referees to Karena Cronin, VOSESA Projects and Outreach Manager (Karena.firstname.lastname@example.org) by Wednesday, 25 July 2012.