Shack/Slum Dwellers International (SDI)
is looking to appoint a Senior Bookkeeper with bookkeeping qualifications and a minimal of 3 years working experience. Candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
The position is Cape Town based.
Shack/Slum Dwellers International (SDI), registered in 1999, is a network of community-based organisations of the urban poor with networks in 33 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
In each country where SDI has a presence, affiliate organisations (networks) come together at the community, city, and national level to share experiences, strategise and evaluate current and past challenges and successes. SDI uses its global reach to build platform for slum dwellers to engage directly with governments and international organisations to try new strategies, change policies, and build understanding about the challenges of urban development.
Assistant Finance Manager
- Understand SDI finance policies and procedures to which to adhere by;
- Prepare payment requisition forms and attach original supporting documents;
- Reconcile and verify validity of source documents such as invoices, receipts, etc;
- Prepare cheques and bank deposit;
- Have requisitions signed by signatories and release payments;
- Prepare excel cashbooks for Senior to do GL account allocations according to funder budgets;
- Daily Pastel cashbook updates;
- Monthly bank reconciliations;
- Reconcile and maintain SDI petty cash;
- Reconcile and maintain all cash advances made by SDI;
- Follow up on any outstanding supporting documents;
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts;
- Maintain proper filing of all documents relating to tasks you are responsible for;
- Make sure that supplier invoices and accounts are paid on time;
- Update journals into the accounting records as instructed/approved by seniors;
- Ordering and monitoring usage of office equipment and stationery;
- Provide administrative support to Assistant and Finance Managers as needed;
- Prepare workings and submit VAT of SDI on SARS e-filing;
- Using payroll reports, submit PAYE/UIF/SDL on SARS e-filing;
- Update Asset register and reconcile with accounting records;
- Respond to internal auditor queries;
- Prepare files for annual audits;
- Bookkeeping to trial balance;
- Update funder reports on excel as required.
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in bookkeeping as a minimal requirement;
- Has minimal 3 years working experience as a senior bookkeeper (preferably in an NGO environment or similar);
- Excellent excel skills;
- Strong account reconciliation skills;
- Knows how to use Pastel Accounting software and has a minimum of 2 – 3 years Pastel working experience;
- Computer literacy essential, Windows Outlook/Outlook express, Word and Excel;
- Knowledge of all relevant statutory requirements (UIF, PAYE, etc);
- Experience in VAT calculations and submissions to SARS;
- Knowledge of Internet Business Banking;
- Drivers Licence.
- Works well as a team member;
- Must be able to work well under pressure;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Pays attention to detail;
- Ability in information collection and monitoring;
- Good communication skills, fluent in English and any local language;
- Understands confidentiality;
- Has integrity;
- Is trustworthy;
- Strong multi-tasker;
- Willingness to travel;
- Self-motivated and resourceful;
- Enjoys a fast pace, dynamic, challenging and team-orientated work environment;
- Can build and maintain relationships;
- must be able to work independently;
- Able to lead if required.
Salary to be negotiated;
Salary in accordance with NGO subsidy levels, medical aid and pension.
Hours of work is Mon to Fri - 08h30 to 16h30;
Due to the nature of the organisation you may from time to time be called upon to work irregular hours.
Documents to be submitted (PDF format):
- Cover letter;
- CV and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
26 September 2014
As soon as possible