Save The Children South Africa
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children, operating in almost 120 countries around the world to improve the lives of children.
Save the Children South Africa seeks to appoint a Head of Advocacy and Campaigns.
The successful applicant in this senior position will contribute to the direction of Save the Children South Africa’s programmes and will lead our policy and political influencing in country and globally.
Purpose of the Role
The role provides overall senior leadership, management and strategic direction to the advocacy and campaigns work in South Africa. He/she is responsible for the development and implementation of advocacy and campaigns strategies that will influence government and other institutional policies and practice to achieve positive and lasting changes to fulfil children’s rights.
Leadership and Management
- Provide overall leadership, vision, strategic direction and management of the Save the Children national, regional and international advocacy and campaigns work;
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce strong and effective synergies between programme and advocacy to maximise Save the Children’s impact;
- Position Save the Children as the leading organisation for children’s issues in South Africa;
- Ensure that advocacy is an integral part of Save the Children’s work to achieve lasting changes and ensure that advocacy and campaigns approach and plans are part of the Strategic Plan, the Annual Plan and programme strategies;
- Build advocacy capacity of programme staff and of Save the Children partners and ensure advocacy is included in their plans and annual objectives;
- Use a strong project management approach in planning activities, maintaining financial control and cost-effectiveness of advocacy and campaign activities;
- Lead work with relevant Save the Children members, country offices, the AU advocacy office and Save the Children International to ensure linkages of local, national and global advocacy issues in a manner that informs Save the Children advocacy at all levels, and to ensure coherence of messaging.
- The post holder will ensure that active advocacy, campaigns and external communications are used to influence public opinion and political commitment nationally in support of children’s rights;
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of key advocacy issues and of the positions of key actors, including key ministers, political, civil society and economic leaders, donors, media editors, etc regarding national, regional and international issues;
- Establish and maintain an advocacy calendar with key moments and key opportunities for advocacy;
- Undertake and/or commission researches on specific issues to inform present and future advocacy choices and to build Save the Children’s position and coordinate high-quality briefings, letters and other written material for internal and external use;
- Produce policy briefing papers, policy position statements and public communication related to key advocacy issues;
- Work closely with the media team to advise on media lines and media strategy and to make optimal use of national and international media to influence key advocacy targets and public opinion;
- Provide high level representation for the advocacy work, with media, alliances and targets;
- Identify and build coalitions with external organisations and work closely with other organisations to develop joint advocacy initiatives when relevant.
Monitoring, evaluation and risk management:
- Lead in identifying and managing potential risks associated with Save the Children’s public positions and design strategies to mitigate the risks that have been identified;
- In collaboration with the MEAL Manager, establish monitoring and evaluation processes of advocacy work and ensure that advocacy implementation and impact are effectively monitored and evaluated (including as part of the reporting process).
- An M-degree in Development, Social Science, Development, Law, Public Policy or equivalent;
- A minimum of five years advocacy experience, with experience in successfully leading the development and implementation of advocacy and campaign strategies;
- Strong management experience including leading a team to deliver significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders and providing training and mentoring;
- Experience of a range of campaigning and advocacy techniques and approaches and of linking national, regional and international advocacy;
- Experience in influencing government, donors, and other organisations through representation and/or advocacy;
- Knowledge and experience of advocacy at regional and international level is desirable.
Submit a cover letter, specifying experience as per person specifications, and a comprehensive CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preference will be given to South African citizens.
For more about Save the Children, refer to www.savethechildren.org.za.