The Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust
The Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust has a vision of a South Africa in which women are safe in their communities and where the criminal justice system supports and empowers rape survivors in all its interventions. The Rape Crisis Cape Town’s mission is to promote an end to violence against women, specifically rape, and to assist women to achieve their right to live free from violence by reducing the trauma experienced by rape survivors, encouraging reporting of rape incidents and facilitating the active engagement of communities in challenging high rape rates and flaws in the criminal justice system. The Trust plan to achieve this through coordinated action between our three main programmes: (1) the Road to Justice, (2) the Road to Recovery and (3) Making Change.
The Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust seeks to appoint a part-time Fundraising and Communications Officer, based in Observatory, Cape Town.
The Fundraising and Communications Officer will be responsible for the following tasks under the supervision of the Communications Coordinator.
- Adhere to social media strategies implemented by the Communications Coordinator and ensure these platforms showcase the work of Rape Crisis by posting and providing content to the Communications Coordinator regularly;
- Respond to any inquiries from the public in a professional and timely manner or refer to the appropriate staff member;
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in raising awareness about rape and about services provided by Rape Crisis;
- Liaise with journalists about interviews on radio, television, online and traditional newspapers and set up interviews with relevant spokespersons in line with the protocol;
- Source content for the Rape Crisis blog and send regularly to the Communications Coordinator.
- Assist with the development of materials that inform communities about Rape Crisis services and actively engage with programme staff to ensure the distribution thereof;
- Actively engage with programme staff to ensure that content for Facebook posts and newsletters showcase the work of programmes and are sent to the Communications Coordinator timeously.
- Ensure that all communications expenses are cleared by the Communications Coordinator and are documented;
- Adhere to the organisation’s Finance Policy and Procedures Manual;
- Keep tight control of marketing materials and document all incoming and outgoing stock.
- Assist the Communications Coordinator to manage the database of individual donors;
- Document all donations and draft thank you letters weekly in line with protocol;
- Liaise with the Director regarding upcoming donor reports and the photographs and written pieces that will be required for these;
- Assist with campaigns on fundraising platforms.
- Manage enquiries from and offer support to potential interns and volunteers;
- Live the core values of the organisation;
- Identify self-development priorities and training and support needs;
- Adhere to the organisation’s Staff and Volunteer Policies;
- Maintain regular contact with the Communications Coordinator and send a daily update of tasks completed.
- Assist the Director with logistical arrangements for Board meetings;
- Assist the Director to convene the Annual General Meeting;
- Assist the Communications Coordinator to distribute the Annual Report.
- The ideal person for this job would be someone who has strong computer skills (including experience with various social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress, etc.), has strong communication skills both verbally and in writing, has excellent attention to detail and accuracy, manages time and meets deadlines, establishes and maintains effective relationships with people at all levels and who can work independently without direct supervision;
- Matric and preferable qualification or experience in Communications, PR , marketing or fundraising;
- Strong computer literacy and knowledge of social media platforms;
- Driver’s licence and own car an advantage.
Remuneration: This is a part-time position. The salary will be between R3 500 - R5 000 per month depending on skills and experience.
The position is available from 1 February 2015.
To apply, submit the following to the Communications Coordinator at email@example.com:
- A brief Curriculum Vitae, not longer than three (3) pages
- A covering letter that outlines how the candidate fits the job requirements
- The names and full contact details (telephone, fax and e-mail) of two recent referees
- Short task to be sent along with application: Create a Facebook post for Rape Crisis for National Women’s Day (for example, a few lines of text and an image)
If you do not hear from us by 31 January, you should consider your application unsuccessful.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust, refer to www.rapecrisis.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.