Project HOPE’s mission is to improve the quality of life of the world’s most vulnerable people, especially women and children, by improving health care delivery and building local capacity. Since 1958, Project HOPE has implemented over 500 public health programmes in more than 130 countries. Our signature programme in South Africa, The HOPE Centre, tackles the growing challenge of addressing non-communicable diseases (NCDs) in impoverished communities.
Project HOPE seeks qualified candidates for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager for the NCD programme in South Africa.
Summary: The M&E Manager will develop and implement monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks and tools that will ensure accurate and timely information and feedback to stakeholders. With the programme team, you will plan for and conduct data quality assurance and monitoring activities and will be responsible for providing the team with standard and ad hoc reports.
- Develop and implement country- and award-specific monitoring and evaluation strategies and frameworks;
- Ensure that strategies and frameworks are coordinated at all levels, making certain that technical work plans and monitoring and evaluation plans are integrated;
- Oversee database setup and management;
- Work with project teams to design & implement data collection tools and forms;
- Develop data collection procedures and ensure compliance with such procedures;
- Train staff responsible for data collection and other key staff as required;
- Supervise data collection staff, overseeing data collection activities and regularly monitoring data quality;
- Oversee data processing including data transfer, entry, verification and cleaning;
- Develop the ability of key decision makers to communicate and manage information effectively and to access data that facilitates efficient decision-making;
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis;
- Compile and present data for reporting of programme progress and impact to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Capture lessons learned and best practices, documentation and dissemination of information, assisting developing presentations, abstracts, articles, etc.
- Mentor and build the capacity of the junior M&E staff;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Country Director.
- Master’s degree in public health, demography, statistics, or social sciences plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation of health and/or programs and interventions;
- Demonstrated experience using data to inform decision making, communication, planning, resource allocation and other strategic initiatives;
- Demonstrated understanding of and familiarity with a range of applied research and monitoring and evaluation approaches including health information and data management systems;
- Good working knowledge of descriptive, inferential and advanced statistics;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues;
- Strong skills in MS Excel Word, PowerPoint and Access, and at least one data management software program (SAS, SPSS);
- Basic SQL programming skills;
- The ability to work well with and motivate others;
- Fluency in English, including speaking, writing, and reading;
- Valid driver’s license.
Project HOPE provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status.
Closing date: 31 January 2015
Employment type: Fixed-term contract
Location: Honeydew, Johannesburg
Application: Applicants possessing the prescribed qualifications and experience are invited to apply. To apply, submit a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.