ProBono.Org is an independent, client-based, nonprofit legal clearing house. It provides free legal services for the vulnerable and marginalised, (including, women, children) poor individuals and communities who suffer discrimination by reason of race, class, gender, and disability or by reason of social, economic and historical circumstances.
ProBono.Org seeks to appoint two Interns, based in Johannesburg.
Duration: 1 January 2015 – 31 December 2015.
- Interview persons seeking legal assistance or anyone acting on their behalf;
- Assess matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria;
- Consult with ProBono.Org staff attorneys on the best strategy dealing with matters, such as direct assistance, litigation, mediation or another form of legal intervention;
- Prepare detailed briefs or memos for legal practitioners in matters that require pro bono legal assistance;
- Manage all matters from time of consultation until such matter is closed or referred to an attorney or advocate;
- Maintain, build and enhance strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives;
- Write reports on matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communication functions, including Facebook and Twitter;
- Attend workshops and seminars on behalf of ProBono.Org;
- Facilitate community and attorney workshops on behalf of ProBono.Org;
- Conduct research and handle other details in preparation of matters, where necessary.
- Demonstrated interest in human rights work;
- Proactive attitude, with enthusiasm for ProBono.Org’s mission and vision;
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Valid Driver’s licence and driving experience (preferred but not required);
- Preferred qualifications and experience
- An appropriate tertiary qualification, (candidates must have a L LB) with some practical experience;
- Knowledge of South Africa’s socio-economic environment and how it impacts on legal justice.
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualification and experience.
To apply, submit a CV with copies of qualifications and two contactable references and a motivational letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about ProBono.Org, refer to www.probono.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.