ProBono.Org is a young, dynamic non-governmental organisation (NGO) that works with the private legal profession to provide pro bono legal services to the poor. The organisation harnesses the enormous skill, might and strength of the South African private legal fraternity to cases and clients that we identify.
ProBono.Org seeks to appoint a Attorney, based in Johannesburg.
The Attorney will extend access to justice and promoting our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
- Direct and manage the family law and general law departments at ProBono.Org, Johannesburg;
- Manage all cases in the family and general law departments in accordance with ProBono.Org’s management system. This includes ensuring that clients are interviewed, screened and where necessary referred to private legal professionals;
- Have a thorough knowldege of all cases that have been referred to attorneys, advocates and mediators and monitor the progress of such cases;
- Set up, manage and monitor all legal clinics that fall within your department;
- Maintain and build strong relationships with legal professionals that render pro bono services and to actively recruit additional lawyers on an ongoing basis;
- Create pro bono opportunites for pro bono legal professionals;
- Conceptualise, prepare, plan and implement special projects;
- Report pro bono hours on behalf of attorneys to law societies when required;
- Maintain and build strong relationship with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono or public interest initiatives;
- Undertake financial planning, budgeting and management of your own cost centre;
- Prepare funding proposals, budgets, implementation plans for donors and to ensure compliance with donor agreements;
- Ensure that all information pertaining to your department is recorded and stored correctly on the electronic data management system;
- Manage, train and monitor the performance of interns in your department;
- Write up reports on cases, events and the work of ProBono.Org for newsletters, the website, social media, newspapers and other media;
- Organise workshops and seminars throughout the year for attorneys and other legal professionals, and for CBOs and NGOs.
- Organisational and adminstrative excellence, and project management skills;
- Ability to write reports, publicity materials and other required documents;
- Ability to asses cases, determine the merits and prepare memoranda on cases for attorneys and mediators, and briefs for advocates;
- Ability to evaluate and monitor success / failure of your work;
- Management, financial and fund-raising skills;
- Financial skills that include the ability to budget and prepare financial reports;
- Excellent communication and networking skills;
- Drivers licence and own car;
- Attorney’s admission.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about ProBono.Org, refer to www.probono.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ngopulse