The Population Council seeks to appoint an experienced Finance and Administration Assistant, based in Johannesburg, Gauteng. The primary function of this individual is to provide a wide range of financial and administrative support to the Office Manager and Country Director. The individual must demonstrate willingness to take up a challenge in organising a demanding workload, and an ability to demonstrate a professional and mature attitude regarding work.
This position is a one-year fixed term contract and may be renewable depending on availability of funding and performance.
Position reports to : Office Manager
Job purpose : To provide efficient and reliable Financial Management & Administration support
- Appropriate Diploma relevant to Finance & Administration;
- At least 3 years working experience in similar position;
- Computer literacy;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Good Interpersonal and organisational skills.
- The potential candidate must demonstrate a strong knowledge of the double entry system in analysing and recording business transactions;
- Full knowledge of Fund EZ or similar systems such as Navision or Citrix is essential;
- Knowledge of other accounting software packages will be considered;
- Knowledge of the VIP Payroll system will be an advantage.
- Accuracy recording of accounts payable;
- Ability to compile creditors reconciliations;
- Ability to co-ordinate travel related documentation leading up to invoices payable;
- Ability to coordinate office supplies with proper documentation of expenses incurred;
- Accuracy in reconciling and reviewing petty cash and company credit cards;
- Excellent handling of e-mail communication and other forms of written communication;
- Clear verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to complete statutory forms and returns such as PAYE & VAT;
- Ability to prepare and process cash book and related journal entries;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Good organisational skills and ability to work well with people;
- Ability to learn quickly and expand scope of functions;
- Proficiency with computer application including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Mature attitude and good interpersonal skills.
- The potential candidate must have at least 3-5 years experience in accounting at a bookkeeping level up to trial balance;
- Must be able to analyse and account for complex cost centre of transactions;
- Must have ability to multi-task and support other divisions within the company without losing focus on his/her role;
- Previous experience in NGOs and USAID funded projects will be an advantage.
- Match invoices received to PO’s issued, prepare payment vouchers with supporting documents for releasing payments;
- Prepare cash analysis report on a weekly basis;
- Follow up on wire requests from New York to South Africa for the programme and office activities;
- Monitor petty cash and ensure petty cash is used for approved purposes;
- Ensure relevant receipts are submitted for all petty cash handed out to staff;
- Check accuracy of daily, weekly and monthly reconciliation of petty cash;
- Ensure petty cash float is kept at approved level with requests to top up submitted on time;
- Ensure all travel advances are adequately completed with relevant attachments;
- Receive and review travel advance liquidations from the traveling staff;
- Follow up and report diligence on un-liquidated travel advances;
- Record all assets purchased and movements to the property log;
- Tag all assets and update the property log accordingly;
- Work closely with the Supervisor when compiling budgets;
- Be involved in the compilation of periodic reports as directed by the supervisor;
- Act as the point of contact for on financial & administration enquiries;
- Operate Fund EZ and VIP systems;
- Any other work-related responsibilities assigned by supervisor.
Opportunity closing date: 21 September 2012
Applicants can apply by sending their CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you meet the requirements criteria for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.