Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Project
The Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Project has been addressing maternal and child health problems in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town since 1979. Philani’s mandate is sustainable community health, and, over the years, the organisation has developed programmes to meet the needs of the communities it serves. As an organisation Philani aims to improve health outcomes by combining its skills and resources with the knowledge and resources that exist in the community. Philani's programmes promote family health, focusing on the support of pregnant mothers, prevention of child malnutrition and the rehabilitation of underweight children. The organisation is committed to limiting the suffering of families infected and affected by HIV and preventing the spread of the virus.
The Philani Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition Project seeks to appoint a Assistant Coordinator (Staff Nurse), based in Site C, Khayelitsha.
The Assistant Coordinator will manage between 10-15 Mentor Mothers and their associated cases. The primary responsibility of this role is to manage and support the Mentor Mothers ensuring that they are held accountable for the tasks set out in their Job Description.
Start date: Between 1 February - 1 March 2015.
- Supervise, support and manage the Mentor Mothers on their team;
- Manage high-risk clients, providing them with medical care and advice;
- Liaise and attend regular meeting with Government Hospitals and local clinics;
- Oversee all referrals and ensure cases are suitably followed up on;
- Conduct home visits in Khayelitsha, Delft, Mfuleni, Crossroads, Philippi, etc;
- Identify Mentor Mothers training needs and conducting continuous infield training;
- Network with social workers, government clinics and agencies in the area;
- Organise and attend community meetings;
- Write reports.
- English and isiXhosa written and spoken;
- Good communicator;
- Strong ability to problem solve;
- Active member in her community;
- People management;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Qualification Requirements:
- Qualified as an a staff Nurse;
- At least two years nursing experience, preferably in the realm of community health;
- Experience in Pediatrics/ Home-based Care;
- Management and leadership experience;
- Relevant behaviours/ personal attributes:
- The candidate should have a positive, open friendly and flexible attitude.
- A valid drivers licence is preferable.
To apply, submit a CV and a motivational letter to Natalie.email@example.com, fax to 021 387 5107 or drop it off at Philani, Phaphani street, Site C, Khayelitsha, directions are available on the website.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information about the Philani Child Health and Nutrition Project, refer to www.philani.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ngopulse.