Pact South Africa
(Proposed, Contingent on Award)
Pact is a 40-year old international NGO operating in 59 countries. Pact's mission is to build empowered communities, governments and private institutions that give people an opportunity for a better life. Programmes focus on governance, health, economic development and natural resource management.
Pact South Africa seeks to appoint a Technical Director for a five-year, USAID-funded capacity development support project in South Africa. The aim of the project is to support the goals of PEPFAR and those of the South African Government’s (SAG) National Strategic Plan to transition to country ownership by promoting sustainability of local organisations and provision of grant management support to develop local capacity. The project consists of three components - Grant Award and Management; Institutional capacity-development of indigenous organisations; and Capacity development assistance to the SAG.
The Director will provide overall technical leadership to ensure high-quality programme performance. The Director will oversee the development and monitoring of comprehensive quality improvement work plans which will include activities, targets, and benchmarks for program quality. The Director will lead a technical team comprising Advisors for Quality Assurance, Gender, OVC, HIV Prevention, Health Services Innovation, and HIV Care and Treatment. The Director will have expertise in health and social services system strengthening in South Africa, with a focus on effective HIV prevention, care (including OVC), and treatment programming, and will have experience working with South African organisations and the South Africa Government (SAG), particularly the Departments of Health and Social Development.
- Provide leadership in developing effective quality improvement strategies and activities for strengthening health and social welfare systems with a focus on effective and efficient HIV prevention, care (including OVC) and treatment service delivery;
- Oversee technical capacity assessments of civil society organisation (CSO) partners to identify critical technical capacity gaps; the development of program quality improvement plans based upon results; and the planning and delivery of technical assistance to CSO partners;
- Supervise and support Advisors for Quality Assurance, Gender, OVC, HIV Prevention, Health Services Innovation, and HIV Care and Treatment.
- Oversee, coordinate, and monitor technical assistance to CSO partners and SAG (particularly DOH and DSD); facilitate problem solving among stakeholders to address critical challenges and barriers to quality improvement;
- Monitor and report on quality assessment, improvement, and assurance activities;
- Contribute to programme research and learning agendas.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Master’s degree in public health, social work, social sciences or related field;
- At least 10 years of experience in OVC and HIV prevention, care and treatment programming and service delivery, health and social services system strengthening, quality improvement and assurance, and management and supervision of technical teams.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in OVC and HIV prevention, care and treatment programming in South Africa;
- Demonstrated experience in OVC and HIV prevention, care and treatment programme quality improvement working in partnership with CSOs and Government entities at all levels;
- Demonstrated experience in supportive supervision and team building;
- Knowledgeable about adult learning methodologies and principles;
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating and sustaining working relationships with local partners and SAG;
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- South African national preferred;
- Must be Fluent in English;
- Must be in possession of a valid South African driver’s license.
- Deadline for the applications: 31 August 2013;
- Applications must be e-mailed to: Applications@pactsa.org.za. Include a detailed CV with at least three references and a cover letter in one e-mail;
- Please use the position title in the header of the e-mail;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about Pact South Africa, refer to www.pactworld.org/south-africa.