Pact South Africa
Pact is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) operating in 59 countries. Pact's mission is to build empowered communities, governments and private institutions that give people an opportunity for a better life. Programmes focus on governance, health, economic development and natural resource management.
Pact South Africas seeks to appoint a Research Advisor to provide leadership for the research component of a five-year, USAID-funded capacity development project.
The Advisor will work closely with the Senior Advisor M&E Research and other key staff to support DSD in conducting operational research and impact studies. The Advisor will have a strong research background related to OVC issues and health in South Africa and will have experience providing technical assistance in research design and implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support DSD in streamlining processes for how research is planned, undertaken and or commissioned, managed and utilised for decision making across directorates;
- Provide technical assistance in the development of a comprehensive DSD research agenda including priorities for all relevant directorates within the department;
- Provide technical assistance in designing formative and operational research in line with priorities of DSD;
- Support DSD in the execution of relevant research that will contribute to strategic planning and programming, including technical assistance in commissioning research;
- Support DSD to coordinate meetings for the research advisory forum as well as other stakeholder meetings focused on planning, reviewing and disseminating research within the department;
- Support the DSD directorates in facilitating the use of proper knowledge management systems to enhance utilisation of research for evidence-based decision making;
- Provide mentoring and coaching to key relevant DSD staff to enhance research planning and management capacity within the department;
- Support DSD in consolidating and synthesising findings from topical research related to the departments priorities and producing user-friendly research dissemination products;
- Support the development of a capacity development programme for appropriate DSD staff on analysis and use of data to improve programming.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Equivalent of a Masters’ degree in Social, Behavioral or Health Sciences with practical experience in developing and implementing, research and evaluation activities in the children’s sector;
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience: research design, data collection and analyses, research documentation and dissemination;
- Demonstrated expertise in Training and Capacity Building in research;
- Experience with evaluation and impact reporting to donors and to project managers, demonstrating both analytical rigor and practicality.
- A broad understanding of research methodology, including ethics;
- A comprehensive understanding of research related to orphans and vulnerable children;
- An ability to think conceptually and strategically;
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge and skills through training and mentoring;
- An understanding of the analysis and use of data so that it is applicable to programming and delivery of services;
- An understanding of the documentation and dissemination of research findings;
- Creative thinking around documentation and dissemination of research.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative and manage a variety of activities concurrently;
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment;
- Fluency in English for day-to-day communications and excellent English writing and presentation skills.
The successful candidate must be a South African national and be a resident in Pretoria / Johannesburg.
Only applicants possessing the prescribed minimum qualifications and experience are invited to submit their electronic CV and application letter with a subject line “Research Advisor” to email@example.com by no later than 12h00 on Friday, 28 March 2014.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more about Pact South Africa, refer to www.pactsa.org.za.