Oxfam Italia: Project Officer - Youth Empowerment East London
Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 15:17
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Oxfam is the fourth NGOs coalition in the world specialised in humanitarian aid and development projects. It is composed by 14 organisations of different countries cooperating with 3 000 local partners in over 99 countries to identify lasting solutions to poverty and injustice. Oxfam Italia works with members of Oxfam international confederation, contributing to assure sustainable tools for living, the rights to water, to health and to instruction, the respect of human rights in humanitarian crises, the right to participation, to be heard and solidarity.
Oxfam Italia seeks to appoint a Project Officer for the Youth empowerment project, based in East London, Eastern Cape.
The project “Youth empowerment through skills development and strengthened cultural identity” (DCIAFS/2011/112) is funded by the EU and implemented by Oxfam (OIT) in partnership with City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality, Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality and the Regional Government of Tuscany (Regione Toscana – Italy). The Project aims to contribute to the socio-economic development of the youth (between 18 and 35 years of age) in the Gauteng and Eastern Cape Provinces.
The Project intends to support the strengthening of youths’ vocational skills and to promote their local identity and self confidence in the townships of Mamelodi and Ga-Rankuwa and Tshwane Regions n.5 and n. 6 (Gauteng Province) and in the area of Mdantsane, (Eastern Cape Province). Furthermore, the project aims at developing and mainstream effective pro-youth empowerment strategies in Gauteng and Eastern Cape Provinces by providing technical assistance to local Institutions.
Scope of Work
Within the context of the abovementioned Project, the assigned work consists in assisting the Project Manager, based in Pretoria, with the implementation of the project. S/he will directly report to the Associate Country Director, based in East London.
Main Terms of References
The Project Officer will assist the PM in:
- Coordinating the implementation of the mentioned project;
- Planning and scheduling project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools;
- Monitoring that all the activities of the project will be implemented according to the approved Project Proposal and work plan;
- Planning the monthly activities and, if necessary, reschedule the timing and the contents of the activities in order to achieve the expected results of the project;
- Drafting progress reports in compliance with the internal monitoring procedures of OIT and the donors;
- Establishing and implement a MEL system based on the Project’s Logical Framework (LF);
- Liaising with identified key stakeholders of the project to ensure their involvement on an ongoing basis;
- Keeping communication among the Italian and South African partners so as to facilitate the contacts between them;
- Assuring that all the inputs provided by the Project Partners and the identified stakeholders are taken into consideration;
- Managing all of the administrative aspects of the project according to the internal procedures and the criteria of the Donor;
- Assuring a work team approach and a constant and full involvement of the local communities in the implementation of the activities;
- Managing the logistics of the Project and help in preparation of all project related meetings and events, including the procurement of goods and services and the coordination of the services providers;
- Maintaining and updating project’s archive and other project materials for dissemination to different target audience;
- Assisting external Monitoring and Evaluation teams during their mission;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned. This position may require some travelling.
- Minimum of two years experience of project management related activities in the public or private sector;
- Proven experience in logistics and organization of training workshops;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of result-based management (RBM) and Logical Framework
- (LF) approach;
- Good knowledge and direct experience with South Africa Local Government institutions.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in current office software applications and ability to operate e-mail/Internet systems.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English and isiXhosa.
- Flexible and able to work in a demanding, fast-paced work environment;
- Possess excellent communication skills (be capable of writing drafts of memos and other written communications);
- Excellent time management and attention to details;
- Ability to manage relationships (working in teams, communicating information and ideas, conflict
- and self- management);
- Capable of managing multiple responsibilities and demands: have a strong Problem Solving capacity; have ability to work in team and in multicultural environments; have a driving license;
- Competences to be developed within the position or, if already possessed, will constitute further advantage:
- University degree in social sciences, project management or development studies;
- Experience in management of development projects funded by international donors;
- Experience in job creation projects;
- Basic knowledge of Italian;
- Working experience in NGOs (Section 21).
Starting date: 1 September 2012.
To apply, submit a CV, contact of three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line: “Selection Project Officer EU_East London Name Surname”.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Method of selection
The CVs received will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. The candidates shortlisted will be called in for selection tests starting from the day immediately after the deadline for the submission of CVs.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted based upon the documents sent.
The selection process will be based upon written tests and individual interviews that will take place by no later than 31 August 2012.
Travel and participation costs to the selection test and interview are on account of the candidates.
Only the candidates whose profiles fit the requested criteria will be taken into consideration. We kindly ask those candidates who don’t fit the criteria to refrain from sending their application.
For more about Oxfam Italia, refer to www.oxfamitalia.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.