Oxfam Italia, which became part of Oxfam international confederation in 2010, builds upon its previous work as Ucodep, an Italian non-governmental organisation committed with passion and professionalism, since over 30 years, to improve the living conditions of thousands of poor people in the world, to give them the power to shape their future, to control and direct their own life and to exercise their rights.
The project “Youth empowerment through skills development and strengthened cultural identity” (DCI-AFS/2011/112) is funded by the EU and implemented by Oxfam (OIT) in partnership with City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality, Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality and the Regional Government of Tuscany (Regione Toscana – Italy). The Project aims to contribute to the socio-economic development of the youth (between 18 and 35 years of age) in the Gauteng and Eastern Cape Provinces.
The Project intends to support the strengthening of youths’ vocational skills and to promote their local identity and self confidence in the townships of Mamelodi and Ga-Rankuwa and Tshwane Regions n.5 and n. 6 (Gauteng Province) and in the area of Mdantsane, (Eastern Cape Province). Furthermore, the project aims at developing and mainstream effective pro-youth empowerment strategies in Gauteng and Eastern Cape Provinces by providing technical assistance to local Institutions.
Oxfam Italia seeks to appoint a Project Officer, based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Within the context of the abovementioned Project, the assigned work consists in assisting the Project Manager, based in Pretoria, with the implementation of the project.
S/he will directly report to the Project Manager.
This is a fixed-term contract position.
Salary: Approximately R12 000 gross per month. The position does not foresee any benefits, in addition to said remuneration. The exact salary will be defined based upon the candidate’s profile in agreement with Oxfam Italia’s internal salary scale.
Main Terms of References
The Project Officer will assist the PM in:
- Coordinating the implementation of the mentioned project;
- Planning and scheduling project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools;
- Monitoring that all the activities of the project will be implemented according to the approved Project proposal and work plan;
- Planning the monthly activities and, if necessary, reschedule the timing and the contents of the activities in order to achieve the expected results of the project;
- Drafting progress reports in compliance with the internal monitoring procedures of OIT and the donors;
- Establishing and implement a MEL system based on the Project’s Logical Framework (LF);
- Liaising with identified key stakeholders of the project to ensure their involvement on an ongoing basis;
- Keeping communication among the Italian and South African partners so as to facilitate the contacts between them;
- Assuring that all the inputs provided by the Project partners and the identified stakeholders are taken into consideration;
- Managing all of the administrative aspects of the project according to the internal procedures and the criteria of the Donor;
- Assuring a work team approach and a constant and full involvement of the local communities in the implementation of the activities;
- Managing the logistics of the Project and help in preparation of all project related meetings and events, including the procurement of goods and services and the coordination of the services providers;
- Maintaining and updating project’s archive and other project materials for dissemination to different target audience;
- Assisting external Monitoring and Evaluation teams during their mission;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned. This position may require some travelling.
- Minimum of two years experience of project management related activities in the public or private sector;
- Proven experience in logistics and organization of training workshops;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of result-based management (RBM) and logical framework (LF) approach;
- Good knowledge and direct experience with South Africa Local Government institutions;
- Computer skills - proficiency in current office software applications and ability to operate e-mail/Internet systems.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English;
- Flexible and able to work in a demanding, fast-paced work environment;
- Possess excellent communication skills (be capable of writing drafts of memos and other written communications);
- Excellent time management and attention to details;
- Ability to manage relationships (working in teams, communicating information and ideas, conflict and self-management);
- Capable of managing multiple responsibilities and demands;
- Strong problem solving capacity;
- Ability to work in team and in multicultural environments;
- Valid driver’s licence.
Competences to be developed within the position or, if already possessed, will constitute further advantage:
- University degree in Social Sciences, Project Management or Development Studies;
- Experience in management of development projects funded by international donors;
- Experience in job creation projects;
- Knowledge of local languages (Sotho, Tshwana, Ndebele, isiXhosa, isiZulu);
- Basic knowledge of Italian;
- Working experience in Non Profit Organisations.
Method of selection
The CVs received will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. The candidates shortlisted will be called in for selection tests starting from the day immediately after the deadline for the submission of CVs.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three professional referees, motivation letter to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Selection Project Officer_Pretoria Name Surname”.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted based upon the documents sent. We kindly ask the candidates to refrain from calling Oxfam.
The selection process will be based upon written tests and individual interviews that will take place by no later than 22 March 2013.
Travel and participation costs to the selection test and interview are on account of the candidates.
Only the candidates whose profiles fit the requested criteria will be taken into consideration. We kindly ask those candidates who don’t fit the criteria to refrain from sending their application.
For more about Oxfam Italia, refer to www.oxfamitalia.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.