Oxfam Italia, which became part of Oxfam international confederation in 2010, builds upon its previous work as Ucodep, an Italian non-governmental organisation committed with passion and professionalism, since over 30 years, to improve the living conditions of thousands of poor people in the world, to give them the power to shape their future, to control and direct their own life and to exercise their rights.
Oxfam is the fourth NGOs coalition in the world specialised in humanitarian aid and development projects. It is composed by 14 organisations of different countries cooperating with 3 000 local partners in over 99 countries to identify lasting solutions to poverty and injustice. Oxfam Italia works with members of Oxfam international confederation, contributing to assure sustainable tools for living, the rights to water, to health and to instruction, the respect of human rights in humanitarian crises, the right to participation, to be heard and solidarity.
Oxfam Italia seeks to appoint a Project Accountant, based in East London, Eastern Cape – South Africa.
Within the context of the abovementioned Project, the assigned work consists in assisting the Project Manager, based in East London, with the implementation of the project. The person will directly report to the Country Administrator, based in East London.
This is a twelve-month fixed term contract, with possibility of renewal. Trial period of three months.
The project “Integrated action for a sustainable community empowerment process in the informal settlements of Buffalo City Municipality” is financed by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and has a three years duration.
The project aims at improving the living conditions of the informal settlements population in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality (BCMM) through and integrated approach that will target women and children affected by violence and HIV/AIDS.
The intervention will be located in three wards:
- Rural area Tsalumnqa (ward no. 32) where a new school and community centre will be built;
- Rural area Newlands (ward no. 26), where the following schools will be rehabilitated “Nombasa”, “Nomzamo”, “Nonceba”, "Msobomvu";
- Urban area Vergenoeg (ward no. 11), where the school "Inkazimlo" will be rehabilitated.
The overall objective of the project is:
- Contributing to improve the health, nutritional, social and economic conditions of South African marginalised population.
The specific objective of the project is:
- Contributing to a sustainable improvement of health, nutritional, social and economic conditions of HIV/AIDS affected children and their families in ward n. 11, 26, 32 in rural and urban areas around East London in South Africa.
OIT is in charge of managing the action in South Africa. OIT will be assisted in the implementation of the action by the Italian associated NGO Centro Mondialità Sviluppo Recisproco (CMSR), and by the following South African partners: BCMM, Small Project Foundation (SPF) and the Loaves and Fishes Network (LAFN).
a) Overall accounting and financial reporting activities related to the implementation of the Project. S/he will ensure that they are in compliance with relevant legal/statutory and procedural reporting requirements, and that appropriate internal controls and procedures are in place to support such compliance, inter alia, for:
- Management and organisation of accountancy papers;
- Budget follow-up and monthly planning of expenses;
- Cash flow (cash flow, final balance and budget analysis);
- Bank reconciliation;
- Financial proposals, intermediary and final financial reports of the project;
- Follow-up of contracts with service providers;
- Staff payment of the salaries, indemnities and per diem.
b) Management of the procurement of goods and services in accordance with the Donors and Municipality procurement guidelines and procedures. It includes, inter alia:
- Preparation of advertisements and organization of procurement arrangements;
- Preparation of all procurement documents (e.g. bidding documents/request for proposals, draft of contracts, bid Evaluation Reports, and notification of award);
- Contract management;
- Arranging inspection.
c) Assisting the Project Manager in the organization and follow up of the logistics and administrative aspects related to the implementation of the project, inter alia:
- Office procedures regarding the handling and archiving of documents, use of equipment and supplies, office
- Layout and security, update the project inventory, and prepare the handover of the project assets;
- Organisation of workshop/seminars, meetings, and other project related events;
- Arranging local and international travel bookings and prepare itineraries for Project’s staff and partners
- Performing other related issues as required.
- University degree in accounting, economics, business administration or similar fields;
- Knowledge of double entry bookkeeping;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel and Word;
- Minimum of three years experience in accountancy/administrative work;
- Minimum of two years experience in managing budgets of projects funded by the Italian Ministry of
- Foreign Affairs (MAE) and the European Union (EU);
- Previous experience of preparing and managing international procurements;
- Previous experience in managing VAT refund claims;
- Previous experiences in the administrative field with NGOs;
- Computer skills - proficiency in current office software applications and ability to operate e-mail/Internet systems;
- Excellent command in written and spoken English;
- Flexible and able to work in a demanding, fast-paced work environment;
- Possess excellent communication skills (be capable of writing drafts of memos and other written communications);
- Excellent time management and attention to details;
- Ability to manage relationships (working in teams, communicating information and ideas, conflict and self-management);
- Capable of managing multiple responsibilities and demands;
- Strong problem solving capacity;
- Ability to work in team and in multicultural environments;
- Valid driving licence.
Competences to be developed within the position or, if already possessed, will constitute further advantage:
MBA or Master degree in Management of NGOs or similar fields;
- Basic knowledge of Italian;
- Knowledge of local languages;
- Working experience in NGOs (Section 21);
- Knowledge of accounting software: NPS in particular.
Starting date: 1 September 2012.
Salary: Approximately R16 000 gross per month. The position does not foresee any benefits, in addition to said remuneration. The exact salary will be defined based upon the candidate’s profile in agreement with Oxfam Italia’s internal salary scale.
To apply, submit a CV, contact of three professional referees and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Selection Project Accountant MAE_East London Name Surname” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Method of selection
The CVs received will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. The candidates shortlisted will be called in for selection tests starting from the day immediately after the deadline for the submission of CVs.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted based upon the documents sent.
The selection process will be based upon written tests and individual interviews that will take place by no later than 31 August 2012.
Travel and participation costs to the selection test and interview are on account of the candidates.
Only the candidates whose profiles fit the requested criteria will be taken into consideration. We kindly ask those candidates who don’t fit the criteria to refrain from sending their application.
For more about Oxfam Italia, refer to www.oxfamitalia.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.