ORBIS is an international nonprofit organisation with a vision to eliminate avoidable blindness in developing countries.
ORBIS Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) seeks to appoint a Finance Officer, based in Cape Town with possible travel in Africa.
The Finance Officer is responsible for project financial reporting, accounts payable processing for the organisation and provides support with monthly accounting routines.
The Finance Officer reports to the Finance and Operations Manager. The role will also entail close interaction with the Business Support Officer. The role will work collaboratively with all staff in the ORBIS Africa Office, as well as occasionally liaising with other ORBIS staff on a global basis.
Day to day accounts payable processing for the organisation and ensure
- Timely and accurate coding and processing of vendor invoices and other accounts payable vouchers;
- Maintenance of accurate accounts payables ledger balances;
- All vouchers are properly approved before posting and payment, and;
- Ensure invoices are captured for timely payments in line with vendor credit terms.
- Assist the Finance and Operations manager in capturing monthly expense reports for ORBIS Programmes and reconcile source documents for programmes such as ‘Seeing is Believing’;
- On-site visits to Partners, particularly in Zambia North West Province.
The Finance Officer will be expected to carry out the listed duties in a competent, timely, accurate and a professional manner and will need to adhere to the overall policies and procedures of the organisation.
Receive all purchase invoices
- Copy/Scan and distribute accounts payable invoices to relevant authorising manager for coding;
- Check coding and authorisation of invoices, allocate VAT and post to accounts payable system;
- Reconcile creditor’s statements to accounts payable ledgers and alert Finance and Operations Manager to make appropriate payments to vendors in line with vendor terms;
- Resolve staff and vendor queries;
- Prepare required general ledger journals for adjustments and accruals arising from the above.
- Process staff expense claim forms, checking general ledger coding, receipts and approvals;
- Reconcile employee travel advances to the general ledger on a monthly basis;
- Involved in producing financial reports for projects such as ‘Seeing is Believing’.
Bank reconciliations and general ledger work
- Assist the Finance and Operations Manager with month end accounting processes as required;
- Reconcile bank accounts for projects such as ‘Seeing is Believing’.
- Provide cover and assistance to the Business Support area as required. In particular, to assist during busy periods with ad hoc tasks.
- Perform other reasonable tasks necessary in the functioning of the organisation as requested by the Finance & Operations Manager and/or CEO.
- Professional accounting qualification (diploma, degree or qualification);
- Goods and services procurement processes;
- Experience with accounts payable process;
- Highly numerate and able to analyse statistical information and interpret financial data to assist in producing reports which can be understood by non-financial colleagues;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Computer literacy - fully conversant with the current uses of information technology in the workplace and uses IT as a management tool.
Starting date: 14 January 2013.
Salary: R11 000 per month.
ORBIS is an equal opportunities employer. ORBIS does not discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, civil partnership, race, colour, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, community background, or age. ORBIS recognises quality and diversity in its workforce.
Only candidates with permit to live and work in South Africa are eligible to apply for this role.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter with ‘Finance Officer’ in the subject line’ to Hendrik Grobbelaar at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For more about ORBIS, refer to www.orbis.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.