Operation Smile South Africa
Operation Smile is a global nonprofit organisation that provides free life changing surgery to children and adults suffering with facial deformities, more specifically cleft lips and/or cleft palates.
Operation Smile South Africa seeks to appoint a Regional Fundraising Coordinator, based in Cape Town.
Reports to: Regional Director
Type of position: Full-time
Operation Smile is looking for a creative, out of the box thinker who is hardworking, excels under pressure, and is able to take on new challenges with passion and commitment.
The Fundraising Coordinator works with the Regional Director and Operation Smile Inc Development team as well as the Regional Programmes team and local foundations. The Coordinator’s core responsibility is to work with the Regional Director and regional team to increase donations from multi-national and local corporations, foundations and individuals, to build strategic partnerships, provide support to local foundations for donor management systems and find innovative ways to increase the organisations revenue stream and brand awareness.
- Research prospects, gather information, set appointments and complete presentations for Regional Director;
- Coordinate logistics on partnerships with donors;
- Facilitate mission experiences and coordinate with donors on logistics;
- Complete reports for donors when necessary;
- Assist Regional Director with special projects and items as needed;
- Assist with identifying and cultivating new donors;
- Effectively exploit Operations Smile’s brand equity;
- Strategise and structure marketing business case presentations in such a way as to make strong business sense and generate more interest from for-profit corporations;
- Aid in development of a recurring revenue model that adds to Operation Smile’s economic sustainability;
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward personal pipeline of donors;
- Expand international corporate partnerships within the region;
- Develop systems and ensure integration within Operation Smile divisions / departments:
- Grantsmanship / proposals for foundations, corporations and individuals;
- Comprehensive / capital campaigns and overall organisational recognition programmes;
- Corporate and special event sponsorships;
- Operation Smile and third-party special events.
- Assist in the identification and cultivation for major and planned gifts donors as needed;
- Participate in creating and analysing coding to support Development’s information needs for tracking major gifts donors / prospects moves in the organisation’s donor database, eTapestry;
- Be willing to take on new tasks as needed.
Essential Functions - Development Communications:
- Creates and evaluates metric-driven development communications and solicitation programmes, including integration with special and general giving segments programmes;
- Leverages existing Operation Smile communications, as well as creates new vehicles where necessary for donors;
- Supports the organisational brand, messaging, corporate identity and style guidelines;
- Guides the creation of campaign materials, such as campaign plans, feasibility studies, case statements, capabilities brochures, funding proposals and donor reports;
- Develops and maintains Generally Accepted Development Practices document; educates and monitors Development staff on employing standards; develops templates and other tools to support standards;
- Support with the website development and work closely with South Africa Chapters, Donors and Events Coordinator to leverage online networking tools such as FaceBook and Twitter.
Experience Required (education / work):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university;
- At least 3 years nonprofit development experience.
Characteristics / Skills Required:
- Excellent oral and written and interpersonal communication skills required;
- Second language proficiency is desirable;
- Possess extensive experience in the international business community;
- Capable of developing solid business cases with full financial forecasting models;
- Experience in large-scale corporate fundraising;
- Proven ability as an organiser with attention to detail;
- Experience in working in a project / goal-focused work environment;
- Be self-directed and capable of working with minimal supervision;
- Highly motivated, creative and able to handle multiple tasks under pressure, and meet deadlines while remaining flexible and resourceful;
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Persuasive in a presentation environment;
- Computer proficiency, including experience with fundraising software, databases and the Microsoft Office Suite of programmes
- Must be willing to travel.
The Fundraising Coordinator will at all times, act with professionalism in all activities and will maintain the confidentiality of the privileged management and donor information. The person will readily accept new assignments consistent with the mission of Operation Smile.
To apply, please e-mail your CV and cover letter to Tamlin Abrahams at email@example.com.
For more about Operation Smile South Africa, refer to www.operationsmile.org.za.